Historical bond supports relations between Ireland and Choctaw Nation

By Brad Erwin

Choctaw Chief Gary Batton, Ireland Prime Minister Leo Varadkar and Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin got the chance to speak at Monday’s event.

Brad Erwin, Staff Writer

Prime Minister of Ireland, Leo Varadkar, visited Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma to celebrate the sacred bond between Ireland and the Choctaw Nation and to announce scholarships for Choctaw students to study abroad in Ireland.

On March 12, 2018, Varadkar met with Chief Gary Batton to thank the Choctaw Nation for their act of kindness during the potato famine dated 1845 – 1849. According to britannica.com, “The crop failures were caused by late blight, a disease that destroys both the leaves and the edible roots, or tubers of the potato plant. The Irish famine was the worst to occur in Europe in the 19th century.”

This was the first Saint Patricks Day visit to the states by Varadkar. He stated, “I have come just to thank the Choctaw people for what you did for us back in 1847, but also to look forward to our future.” In 1847, the Choctaw Nation gathered $170 and sent it to Ireland to help with the famine. The dollar amount today would be around $4,400.

Brad Erwin
Irish Prime Minister steps to the podium to thank the Choctaw Nation for their historical gratitude.

Varadkar said, “Our ancestors were joined together in a time of tragedy.” In 1830 President Andrew Jackson signed the Indian Removal Act. This law forcibly removed Native Americans from their lands in order for white settlers to settle. This led to the Trail of Tears which pushed Native Americans from their ancestral lands in the southeast to west of the Mississippi. During the forced removal many people died from starvation, exposure, and disease.

During the meeting Varadkar drew parallels from both nations enduring, a trail of tears, “A few years ago, on a visit to Ireland, a representative of the Choctaw Nation called your support for us ‘a sacred memory.’ It is that and more. It is a sacred bond, which has joined our peoples together for all time,” he added according to independent.ie.

Varadkar announced at the meeting that Ireland will have a new scholarship program in which people from the Choctaw Nation will be able to study aboard in Ireland. During the meeting the prime minister and Chief enjoyed performances by children from Ireland singing traditional songs, a performance of Choctaw dances, and a brief catch session with stickball sticks.

Governor of Oklahoma, Mary Fallen, also arrived to show her support of the Choctaw Nation and Ireland.

Choctaw Nation Chief Gary Batton and Ireland Prime Minister Leo Varadkar demonstrated their stickball skills at the event.