Six hundred middle school and high school students participate in Super Saturday

Sophomore honor's student, Nate Hodson talks with prospective students during Super Saturday on Feb. 24.

Dan Hoke

Dan Hoke

Jerai Billy, Staff Writer

On February 24, Southeastern hosted Super Saturday. This event is for prospective students to learn more about Southeastern and to compete for scholarship programs.

Students attending Super Saturday had the opportunity to compete for scholarships from the President’s Leadership Class and Honor’s Program. Students could also audition for the music and theatre departments.

Dan Hoke
Southeastern students work with area high school students during the Theatre Audition Day as a part of Super Saturday. Over 600 high school and junior high students participated.

The university also hosted a Science Olympiad competition for middle and high school students.

Over 600 junior high and high school students and parents attended the event despite the pouring rain.

Even with the gloomy weather, Student Life Coordinator, Mitchell Emberson said, “I am always excited for an event and student involvement.”

Several student organizations and departments set up booths for prospective students to get information about the opportunities at Southeastern. Multiple professors took the time to set up these displays for prospective students to learn more about the different classes and majors in their departments.

Kaylynn Pickens, a sophomore art major, said, “I think an event like Super Saturday is a great way to get more students interested in coming to Southeastern. It is busy and lots of people, but I think it has a positive impact on the high school students who attend.”