SE merchant fair showcases Durant

Businesses in the community set up informational booths for SE students.

By William McCall

Jerai Billy, Staff Writer

The Merchant Fair definitely lived up to “The Taste of Durant.” Various programs from SOSU, local businesses and restaurants were represented at the Student Union on Thursday, Aug. 18. They gave information to students about a few organizations and resources on campus.

Project Teach was represented for education majors. Rotaract is a small club needing new members. Contact Gleny Beach at 580-745-2352 to learn more and join in on the video game competition.

Lyndi Scarberry was promoting Child Care Resource and Referral. She let students know about the Creative Corner located in the University Center room 233 for any students wanting to get their creative juices flowing.

Tim Boatmun, Dean of Graduates, said he comes to the merchant fair every year and would describe this event as free and informative

Some of the local businesses included H&R Block with Cheryl Keller. Keller got students interested in income courses to become tax professionals.

There was Mary-Kate with Rayla Marical, an Independent Beauty Consultant. Students can contact her at 580-239-2423 for a complimentary makeover and to learn how to use make-up. Students should also contact her if they need extra funds for their organization.

A few restaurants checked in at the Student Union. At Marco’s Pizza, Chelsea Hamner ,junior education major at Southeastern, said she is ready to chow down. At Asian Gourmet you could order online at www.asiangourmetok.com.

Durant businesses and Southeastern organizations gathered for the Taste of Durant
William McCall

The Native American Campus Ministry reminded everyone that they are beginning meetings on August 24 and every Wednesday of each week. They are located at the Wesley Center, 311 West University Blvd, with Pastor Virgil Stone.

Overall the Merchant Fair was a success, with great food and much needed information.