Dorm essentials to feel more at home

By Tara Winstead- www.pexels.com

Keeping comfort items and essentials on hand is important to feeling at home in the dorms. Consider stocking up on your favorite drinks and snacks, as well as reusable kitchenware.

Julianna Blanton, Staff Writer

Moving from home to college can be a culture shock. For some students, it can be difficult to decide what to bring and what will cause unnecessary stress. It is important to brings things that help you feel comfortable, but also serve a purpose.

Heaven Williams, a resident assistant and junior theatre major, recommends packing for comfort. “Comfortability is big, because culture shock is a real thing. Base your dorm essentials around what you enjoy,” she suggested.

Elysa Hernandez, a sophomore communication major, advises, “Bring a comfortable blanket and a teapot, or some sort of cozy drink that will make students feel more at home. Also, don’t bring too much stuff, because the weather will change from each semester so students can always go home and change out what clothes they will bring back with them.”

Students should bring a small stock of kitchenware including bowls, plates, eating utensils, a reusable water bottle, a microwave and a mini fridge. A coffee maker or Keurig is also a great idea for those who need their daily caffeine. These items can help students save money on meals.

Another essential item to have on hand is a water filter. Tap water can have hidden chemicals, and a water filter can eliminate them for a student’s safety.

Keeping a well stocked first aid kit nearby may be useful should you or a friend ever need to treat a minor injury or illness. (By 8photo – www.freepik.com)

Stocking up on Dayquil, allergy medications, cough drops, bandaids, ointment and other medical supplies will help in the event of an illness or injury. RAs should also have first aid kits available.

Overall, bringing items to help us feel comfortable and safe is the most important aspect of moving somewhere new. Bringing things that can aid in alleviating stress, anxiety and homesickness are essential.

If students need extra guidance as to what they should keep in their dorm, contacting an RA is a good route to take.