Be the captain of your own ship in 2021

By simisi1 from Pixabay

Take charge of your journey. You have the power to navigate rough waters and to make it through to smoother sailing.

Kylie Carrell, Staff Writer

To no one’s surprise, the first month of the new year has already thrown a few curveballs. Many may expect this year to be just as chaotic as 2020, however, you have the power to change the outcome of 2021.

Although there may be things out of your control, consider what William Ernest Henley once said, “I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.”

One of the biggest factors in determining your year is your attitude about it. If you expect to have a miserable year, chances are that it will be miserable. Seek ways to make 2021 better at every chance that may arise.

One way to have a more positive year may be to dispose of surrounding negativity. Have you heard the expression about taking rotten fruit and putting it by ripe fruit? It is said that the mold will spread and ruin the ripened fruit. This may be the case in many of our lives as well.

Being surrounded by positivity, instead of negativity, is one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself.

Another tip to keep from feeling down is to take care of yourself. Self care seems to be one of the most forgotten needs among college students across the country. There are many different forms of self care and each person may require their own unique ritual. For some, it may be thirty minutes of quiet time a day, for others, it may be taking a bubble bath with a glass of wine or even eating a whole box of chocolates, “just because.”

Of course, there are also basic self care rituals that every college student should be following, such as getting enough sleep, eating regularly and practicing good hygiene.

Find your zen and stop letting the world around you dictate your happiness. Create your own happiness by practicing good self care, getting rid of unnecessary negativity and creating a positive environment for yourself.

Stop making excuses and believing others when they say you should be miserable. There are many things happening in this world that we are unable to control, which is all the more reason to take care of the things we can. Captain your ship with positivity.