Will recent chaos lead to a peaceful future in America?

By whitehouse.gov

Joe Biden, 46th President of the United States of America.

Zachary Jones, Staff Writer

It is safe to say that 2020 was a year of chaos. From peaceful marches to violent riots, people may wonder where the peace in America has gone. Many Americans have begun to question and disagree with the social and political changes occurring throughout our society, with some taking radical measures into their own hands. This leads to the question: “When is enough, enough?”

On Jan. 6, thousands of Americans marched at the Capitol with anger and intentions of blocking Joe Biden’s official presidential win. On that day, five Americans were pronounced dead after the raid. One was a police officer who was beaten to death, and four others were shot during the rampage.

Impeachment can be defined as the action of calling into question the integrity of a president who is not fit to lead, or an official way of saying that enough is enough. On Jan. 13, the House of Representatives impeached President Donald Trump for inciting a violent rampage at the Capitol. Making him the first president to experience two impeachments.

Marcus Owens, alumnus of Southeastern Oklahoma Student University and supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement. (By Zachary Jones)

“Ten years from now I will be 45 with a chance of having kids that are ten,” said former Southeastern student Marcus Owens. “My kids have the potential to be reading about how a decade ago our people, American people, attacked their own Capitol in history books, simply because they disagreed with a system they once fought for.”

Many Americans are disgusted with the actions of the rioters at the Capitol. This chaos was caused due to the results of the 2020 election, which meant the end of the Trump administration.

Now that Biden has been sworn in as the 46th President of the United States, one can only hope for a peaceful future as America is left to watch history unfold in the land of the free and home of the brave.