What to expect this Halloween

By Ieysha Sanders

The Magnolia Mile Art Alley in Downtown Durant is lit with hanging pumpkin lanterns for the Halloween season.

Ieysha Sanders, Staff Writer

Halloween will be looking different this year in wake of COVID-19. While all Halloween events directed by the city have been cancelled, there are many other activities for students and members of the community to enjoy.

Students can expect a quiet campus this Halloween, as the annual safe trick-or-treat and haunted house have been cancelled. According to Mitchell Emberson, Director of Student Activities, students can look forward to pumpkin painting on Oct. 22 and Halloween s’mores on Oct. 29 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the first-floor lounge of the Student Union instead.

Southeastern’s Housing and Residence Life is currently working on future holiday activities for students. These will be determined and announced at a later date.

In addition, the Henry G. Bennett Memorial Library on campus is holding a virtual costume contest. Visit the library in person to learn more, or check out their Facebook page.

In the community, Durant Main Street’s annual Main Street Trick-or-Treat has been cancelled. Stephanie Gardner, Durant Main Street director, is currently compiling a list of businesses who will have offer candy at their stores.

Blake Hoffman, Administrative Specialist for the City of Durant, stated that “the city is not discouraging trick or treating, but is encouraging social distancing and wearing masks.”

The Magnolia Mile Art Alley on Main Street, located in the alleyway behind Craft Pies Pizza Company, features a pumpkin tunnel, a Día De Los Muertos mural and a skeleton wall for all to view and enjoy freely.

Durant Main Street is also working on a virtual costume contest and a Downtown Durant Halloween scavenger hunt. More information can be found on Durant Main Street’s Facebook page.

As always, police presence in Durant will be increased on Halloween night.

Students and community members alike can enjoy haunted houses and other events in the surrounding areas. Information regarding the Pirtle House of Nightmares, located on South Pirtle Road in Durant, can be found on their Facebook page.

Hatch and Krave’s Slaughterhouse in Denison, Texas is also now open and tickets can be purchased at hatchandkravens.com/tickets.

For a list of other haunted houses and Halloween events happening in Oklahoma this year, visit okhauntedhouses.com/calendar/.

Despite the nationwide adjustments due to COVID-19, Halloween can still be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Events and costumes may be a little different this year, but Halloween will be celebrated nonetheless.

Have a happy and safe spooky season!