Student Life gets creative and stays safe

By Dan Hoke

The staff of Student Life stays busy creating new ways to engage students on campus and through virtual communication.

Kylie Carrell, Staff Writer

By now, everyone knows that COVID-19 has changed the way the world works. How is a college’s student life functioning during this time? Student Life at Southeastern Oklahoma State University is dedicated to providing engaging co-curricular activities and giving students the best college experience possible.

This semester, Student Life has looked a little different at SE, and may seem nonexistent if you are not actively looking for opportunities to participate. Many activities have changed from face-to-face, to virtual or grab-and-go.

According to Mitchell Emberson, director of Student Life, students have been very active in all of our virtual events and our grab and go events.” Students were racing to the office of Student Life to claim prizes during a campus wide scavenger hunt, and grab-and-go rock painting kits were all claimed within an hour and a half.

Tatiana Beach, a freshman majoring in aviation says that the few events she has been able to participate in “have been very fun and socially distant.” As to if events have been more or less than what was anticipated, she responded, “I will say they have been less, but this is in no way a fair comparison of what real campus life is like.”

Beach also said that although she wants everyone to be safe, virtual events give her more reason to just sit in her room and be lazy. She would like to have more interaction within the proper guidelines, of course.

Student Life will be hosting many programs in the next two months according to Emberson. Wednesday, Oct. 14, Student life will be hosting an in-person event at 5 p.m. in room 213 of the Student Union. This event will observe Hispanic history, culture and identity to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. The program will also have a Zoom option for students who wish to join virtually.

Another in-person event includes Crossroads, hosted by Baptist Collegiate Ministries on Thursday nights at the SE amphitheater or on the front lawn.

Carli Wharton, a junior majoring in early elementary education, says she feels the restrictions have made organizations a little more challenging and that she has missed events such as welcome week, stoplight parties and tailgate alley. She stated that, “Although we would all love to be in tailgate alley on a game day, I know that the leadership at the university is doing everything they can to keep our campus community safe.”

In the past, block parties, intramural sports and many other events had students interacting with each other constantly. Delainie Cooper, a sophomore majoring in Biology, said that she finds herself “missing the old campus and normal life sometimes.”

Emberson stated, “COVID has changed Student Life by making us get creative, and revamp how we program and get information to students.” Student Life has recently launched new social media outlets for students to stay connected with what is going on. To stay connected, follow
Student Life on Instagram @se.osl, Twitter @seosl and Facebook at SE Student Life.