Fall festivities for you and friends

By Ryan Haines

Madelyn Haines, an SE alumna, poses for a photo while enjoying time with family at the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden on Sept. 28, 2020.

Ieysha Sanders, Staff Writer

Temperatures are dropping, leaves are falling and pumpkin spice lattes are back all across the country. This can only mean one thing: fall has arrived. Here are some cool (socially distanced) fall activities that students can enjoy during the season.

• Visit a pumpkin patch. The Dallas Arboretum has a plethora of photo worthy pumpkin displays from now until Nov. 1. Prices range from $12 to $17 and four-hour time slots can be reserved at reservations.dallasarboretum.org.
    Jahn’s Pumpkin Hill in Cyril, Okla. (jahnspumpkinhill.com), Flower Mound Pumpkin Patch in Flower Mound, Texas (flowermoundpumpkinpatch.com), Platter Flats Pumpkin Patch in Calera, Okla. and Preston Trail Farms in Gunter, Texas (prestontrailfarms.com) are few other popular patches in the surrounding areas.
  • Make fall crafts. There are fall crafting workshops in Frisco, Texas at the AR Workshop through the month of October. Crafts range from wool wreaths, knitted blankets and pumpkin and wood workshops. Fees vary based on the supplies needed to complete the crafts and registration can be completed at arworkshop.com.
  • Catch a drive-in movie. Schulman’s in Sherman, Texas will be holding drive-in movies every Friday and Saturday in October. Visit app.formovietickets.com for a list of movie showings and to purchase tickets.
  • Check out a fall festival. In the midst of COVID-19, fall festivals look slightly different this year, but many of the outdoor activities favorited at these events can still be enjoyed. The 33rd annual Cordell Pumpkin Festival in Cordell, Okla. will be held on Saturday, Oct. 10. Event details can be found at thecordellchamber.com.
  • Frontier City in Oklahoma City is hosting their annual HALLOWFEST Oct. 2 through Oct. 31 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and Sundays from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.. More details can be found at sixflags.com.
  • Take a fall foliage drive with some friends. Peak fall foliage in Oklahoma appears from late October to early November. A list of popular roads that offer gorgeous fall scenery can be found on Travel OK’s website.
  • Enjoy fall flavors at local shops. Enjoying the fall season does not have to be pricey. A cheap option close to home is visiting local bakeries and coffee shops for delicious fall flavored treats. Caked Up, located at 201 W. Main Street, offers a variety of pumpkin flavored cupcakes, cakes, cookies, coffee and other desserts. Hot Shots Coffee, located at 2832 W. University, offers pumpkin cold brew and assorted fall desserts.

Enjoy time with family and friends while bundled up outdoors, at one of these events or wrapped up in a blanket on the couch. Either way, one thing is for certain: it’s fall, y’all!