Domestic Violence Awareness Month to be continued at SE

By Emily Dahl

The National Domestic Violence Hotline offers, “highly-trained advocates 24/7/365 to talk confidentially with anyone experiencing domestic violence, seeking resources or information or questioning unhealthy aspects of their relationship.”

Ieysha Sanders, Staff Writer

According to the National Domestic Violence Hotline, more than 12 million people per year in the United States are victims of rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner.

In fact, Oklahoma ranks second in the nation for the highest rate of domestic violence according to worldpopulationreview.com.

Unfortunately, due to concerns regarding COVID-19, the annual Take Back the Night march administered by Southeastern Oklahoma State University and the Crisis Control Center has been cancelled.

However, SE’s Office of Student Life will be hosting a social media campaign to increase awareness of domestic violence and available resources. To stay up to date on this topic, follow the SE Student Life Facebook page or their Instagram @se.osl.

Mitchell Emberson, Director of Student Activities, assured that the annual Clothesline Project will continue. “The Clothesline Project is a national project where survivors, or people honoring someone who has been through violence, can paint their testimony or support on a shirt. They are hung on clotheslines and it gives you a visualization of the number of people that actually go through this.”

Although new shirts will not be painted this year, items from previous years will still be displayed across campus.In addition to the Clothesline Project, Emberson is working with Tascha Bond, SE instructor and domestic violence survivor, on a video sharing her testimony. This video will be shared through student organizations in the hopes that “students see that domestic violence can happen to anyone, but that you can still overcome it and push through to do amazing things.”

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence, please report to a local police station or call the Crisis Control Center of Durant at 580-924-3030.

The NDVH also offers confidential support 24/7.