SE Live attracts diverse crowd

By Katie Allen, Contributing writer

Meagan Newman leads a campus tour group for SE Live recruitment.

Photo by Dan Hoke

Despite two postponements due to weather, SE Live Open House was once again a Southeastern success on March 9. The event presented 172 high school juniors and seniors the chance to visit campus and catch their first glimpse of what life is like as a Southeastern student.

SE Live is organized by the Office of University Recruitment for the purpose of giving prospective students a true SE experience they won’t forget.

“SE Live is our biggest event for recruiting high school students,” said Elizabeth Stidham, recruitment coordinator. “We know the campus visit is a deciding factor in a student’s college choice, so the success of SE Live is extremely important.”

The prospective students who attended SE Live had the opportunity to be entertained by organizations like the Sparks Dance Team, the SE Cheerleaders and SE’s vocal jazz ensemble in the pre-event entertainment.

The SE recruiters and True Blue Ambassadors also performed a girls vs. boys dance-off to get the event started with enthusiasm.

SE Live was designed for the high school students to personalize their day by choosing which sessions they attended. They were able to choose from sessions like SE Campus Tour, SE Made – from High School Student to College Bound, SE Traditions and Behind the Scenes of SE Athletics, Go to Class!

The 21 SE True Blue Ambassadors were a huge part of the day and its success. This group of student leaders assisted by giving campus tours, leading students to different sessions, answering student questions and were also in charge of a few SE Live sessions.

“The two most popular sessions of SE Live were the campus tour and the SE traditions workshop, and both were led by True Blue Ambassadors,” said Amity Smith, SE recruiter.

The group of SE Live attendees was diverse, as over 40 schools from Oklahoma and Texas were represented. There were also a few students who traveled from other states.

Many of these students will be entering SE in the fall, and they’ve already had the chance to experience Southeastern, learn how to get involved on campus and make some new friends.

“SE Live is truly a campus-wide event,” said Stidham.  “We had many students make a decision to enroll at Southeastern while here, thanks to the many people who helped make SE Live a success.”

Videos of the event can be viewed at the University Recruitment’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/exploresoutheastern.