Native American Symposium: Native Presence & Survival Shaping Native Futures

The 2021 Native American Symposium: Native Presence & Survival Shaping Native Futures, a virtual conference presented by Southeastern Oklahoma State University.

By Native American Institute

Julianna Blanton and Emily Dahl

The Native American Institute at Southeastern Oklahoma State University will be presenting its 14th biennial Native American Symposium on Friday, Nov. 12.

In recognition of the trials of 2020, this event will be virtual and centered on the theme “Native Presence & Survival Shaping Native Futures.” Four sessions with six different panel discussions will be held  from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.

Sessions will cover topics such as survivance in the Native Southeast, law after McGirt, the decolonization of education and assimilation, the future of Native college students and Native film and art in the age of COVID-19.

The keynote speaker will be Eric Tippeconnic from California State University – San Marcos.

Scan the QR code to register for the 14 biennial Native American Symposium. Artwork was created by the keynote speaker, Eric Tippeconnic. (By Native American Institute)

The symposium will provide a forum for “considering how the events of the past year– including the fight against COVID-19 and the implications of the McGirt Supreme Court decision recognizing tribal sovereignty in Oklahoma— can help shape the future.”

Jennifer Kemp, Director of Native American Excellence in Education, stated, “This is a is a great way for students to come together and demonstrate Native American culture. Students can learn history and learn new facts that they may not have known.”

Students who attend this event and are taking a psychology course may be eligible to receive points for extra credit.

To register for this free event, visit whova.com/portal/registration/nativ_202111/ or scan the QR code on the flyer.