Donate blood, save lives

SE hosts two day blood drive

By Oklahoma Blood Institute

Donors will receive a t-shirt and honey butter chicken biscuit coupon as a gift for their donation.

Julianna Blanton, Staff Writer

Southeastern Oklahoma State University and the Oklahoma Blood Institute will be hosting a blood drive on campus Tuesday, Nov. 9 and Wednesday, Nov. 10.

The donation bus will be on the Loop across from the Fine Arts Building from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Oklahoma’s blood supply is facing an extreme shortage, and the blood bank is urging whoever can donate blood to do so. Each donor can save up to three lives by donating a single pint of blood.

Michelle McGuire, OBI’s senior Blood Program Consultant, stated, “Students should come to donate blood because they can save local lives, the blood stays local and every 2 seconds, someone in Oklahoma needs blood.”

In addition to saving lives, there are more incentives for donating.

Donors will receive a coupon to redeem at Whataburger for a free honey butter chicken biscuit and a free t-shirt while supplies last.

Donations will also be tested for COVID-19 antibodies.

This week is also SE vs. EC-WHO, which is an annual competition between SE and East Central University in preparation for the rivalry football game. Whichever university has the most blood donations will receive the Traveling Trophy.

Donors can register online at obi.org/donor-express/ to make an appointment and fill out pre-donation health questions ahead of time, or they can do a walk up donation.

For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact McGuire at (580) 220-9420 or visit obi.org.