SE community gets vaccinated

By Dan Hoke

The Oklahoma National Guard assisted in the administering of vaccinations during each on-campus event. Dr. Fendrich R. Clark, Associate Professor and Speech and Debate Advisor for Southeastern, can be seen seconds before his own vaccination.

Rebecca Carroll, News Editor

Southeastern Oklahoma State University held its second COVID-19 vaccination event on Wednesday, April 28 in the Glen D. Johnson Student Union.

Of the 300 allocated doses of the Pfizer vaccine, 211 were administered to members of the Southeastern community, including faculty, staff and students.

The event was also open to members of the local community who received the Pfizer vaccine elsewhere and needed their second dose.

Vice President of Student Affairs Liz McCraw feels the event was a success.

“The university is very pleased with the vaccination clinics,” she stated. “Our goal was to make sure that the Southeastern community has access to testing and vaccinations. We’ve been able to do that through partnerships in the county and state.”

Members of the Oklahoma State Department of Health strike team and the Oklahoma National Guard administered the shots from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

These initial vaccinations events are not expected to be the last offered on campus.

According to McCraw, the university plans to host similar clinics over the summer and throughout the fall.

“We will be working with the Bryan County Health Department on how and when,” she explained. “I believe that there are others who are waiting to take the vaccine for a variety of reasons. When they make the decision, we want a comfortable place where they can go to do it. By fall, we may have access to a one-dose machine. I believe that more people will take that if readily available.”

“We will continue to offer education, health and support resources as we weather the pandemic,” McCraw assured.