Bass Fishing Team gains coach, open to new members

By Ray Earley

A portion of the team from left to right: Brayden Douthit, Jeff Walraven, Braxton Hall, Noah Belt, Seth Daniel, Jacoby Adkins and Alex Johnson. Not pictured: Jerrid Hobbie, Ty Pettitt and Kyle Drury.

Rebecca Carroll, Staff Writer

Possibly one of the best-kept secrets in Durant is the existence of the Southeastern Oklahoma State University Bass Fishing Team.

The organization has been around for a while, but recently gained coach Ray Earley in January.

“Most of the time it’s been student led, so whenever the leader graduated, the team would fold,” he explained. “A couple of folks from the university approached me and asked if I would be interested in being the head coach so it would be an ongoing thing, and it sounded like something I wanted to do.”

Comprised of 10 active members, the team competes against other schools in the Southern collegiate division of Major League Fishing, including larger universities like the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University.

They travel to both local and national tournaments, depending on member qualifications.

They practice primarily at local lakes, including Lake Durant and Lake Texoma, and fish against each other in intersquad tournaments.

Earley said any student at Southeastern is welcome to join, ladies included. Prospective members need only to supply their own gear to get started.

For those who like to fish but are not interested in joining the team, the organization will be hosting a tournament fundraiser on May 1 to help pay for travel expenses. The tournament will be held at McGee Creek and the entry fee is $50 per team. Teams can consist of one or two people.

For more information about joining the bass fishing team or to enter the tournament, contact Ray Earley at (580) 775-2628.