Pre-Thanksgiving housing checkout offers partial refund

What are your checkout plans?

By Dan Hoke

As Thanksgiving break approaches, students need to decide if they are checking out of their dorms early, or staying longer.

Kylie Carrell, Staff Writer

Southeastern Oklahoma State University has done its best to maintain normalcy for students during the 2020 fall semester. However, due to COVID-19 regulations, many changes have been seen on campus, including how students are to check out of residence halls.

After Thanksgiving break, classes will resume in an online format. Therefore, dorm checkouts are being scheduled almost a month earlier than normal. According to Kelly D’Arcy, director of Housing and Residence Life, students have the option to check out before Nov. 20 to receive a partial refund.

Students who are returning to campus for the spring semester, and students who are not, will have different procedures when it comes to checking out of their room.

Students are also permitted to stay in their dorms until the end of the semester if they choose. These students will not be eligible for a refund on their student account.

The final option for students who live on campus is to remain in their residence hall over winter intersession. This means they will not need to check out at all. However, these students must have the proper request form filed and approved in order to remain on campus from Dec. 11 until Jan. 7.

Housing and Residence Life encourages students to watch the YouTube videos made to share more information about resident options and check out procedures. These videos can be found through an email sent by [email protected] on Nov. 9.

D’Arcy also stated that students can join the Housing and Residence Life virtual office hours to ask questions, or even pop in for a friendly chat. To do so, please visit https://zoom.us/j/98429923478. Virtual office hours are Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.