What to do when you are new

As+new+students+flood+campus%2C+we+have+all+the+answers+you+need+to+understand+freshman+year.+

By vecrawpixel.com - www.freepik.com

As new students flood campus, we have all the answers you need to understand freshman year.

Emily Dahl, Staff Writer

The beginning of freshman year involves a whirlwind of emotions. Often, students are in a new place for the very first time, meeting new people and experiencing new things. It can be exciting, confusing, freeing, daunting and honestly, just a little bit sad. Childhood is officially ending and adulthood still feels so far away. With all of these emotions happening at once, it can seem a little overwhelming. However, knowing what your new campus and town have to offer can make life a lot simpler.

Before venturing around campus, your dorm is the first place you should become familiar with. Afterall, this will essentially be your home for the year. Some things to consider are: When was the last time it was cleaned? If you don’t know the answer, take a trip to the Dollar Tree near Wal-Mart  for some cleaning supplies. A clean living area will keep you happier and healthier.

Next, where is the nearest snack/drink machine? Knowing this will come in handy when you’re feeling snackish, but don’t want to drive all the way to Whataburger.

Most importantly, how can you contact your Resident Assistant? There may come a time you get locked out and your roommate isn’t nearby. Call Residence Life at (580)745-2948 to find out who your RA is.

Now, what’s to know about campus? The Magnolia Grill is the perfect place to spend your Flex on a quick meal, snack or frappe. However, it’s important to make sure your spend all of your FlexCash before the year ends because it does expire. Buy your non-resident friends lunch, or stock up on snacks for the weekend! The fresh cookies are a must for the occasional sweet tooth.

Studying will likely become a major part of your new life, and sometimes the dorms are too loud to concentrate. Try visiting the library or some of the quiet sitting areas around the Student Union. If you feel like studying outside, check out the picnic tables around the plaza or bring a blanket and sit on the front lawn.

Once you feel comfortable on campus, explore everything Durant has to offer! One of the most crucial parts of the Southeastern experience is getting donuts from Dandy’s, which is located at 111 N. 8th Ave and open from 11 p.m. to 12 p.m., making this the perfect late night go-to. Whether you go with a group of friends or go alone, you’ll be happy to trade your crumpled dollar bills for freshly baked treats. (Seriously, cash only.)

If you’re looking for something a little more exciting, check out The District. You’ll be able to watch a movie, play arcade games and even try your hand at bowling. While The District is fun any day of the week, be sure to swing by on a Tuesday for their $5 movie night! This definitely helps you feel a little less guilty for splurging on popcorn.

Adjusting to college life may seem impossible, but it’s easier than you think. Take the leap and get to know your new home. Research all the fun things, but don’t forget about the important ones, too. Follow @TheSoutheastern on Twitter for updates and more stories about your campus and community!