Durant stay positive after losing SBR

Even+after+losing+the+SBR+on+February+26%2C+Durant+citizens+celebrated+as+balloons+dropped+from+the+Choctaw+Even+Center+ceiling.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Durant stay positive after losing SBR

Even after losing the SBR on February 26, Durant citizens celebrated as balloons dropped from the Choctaw Even Center ceiling.

Jordan Phillips

Jordan Phillips

Jordan Phillips

Jordan Phillips, Staff Writer

On February 26, the Durant community was invited to celebrate the announcement of the SBR finalist at the Choctaw Event Center. Local banks were providing free hamburgers and hotdogs, there were also cupcakes, orange popcorn from Pop around the Corner, balloons and megaphones were being handed out as people entered the doors.

A live stream video of Amanda Brinkman declared that Searcy, Arkansas was the winner of the SBR contest, but that did not stop the community from celebrating everything the SBR journey has brought to Durant. Entertainment was provided by a mixture of performers including the Southeastern Corvettes, Durant Middle School and High school choirs and the Oklahoma Shakespearean Festival performers sang songs from the Greatest Showman soundtrack.

After the announcement, Stephanie Gardner hoped to keep the night positive with the news that REI of Durant, Oklahoma would be providing the $500,000 to help renovate Durant Main Street. They will be selecting six businesses to renovate and improve just as the SBR team would have done.