Be the difference in Durant

On Monday, January 21, Southeastern classes will be released in order to give students the opportunity to, “Make a day off, a day on,” Students are encouraged to choose one of the many organizations in Durant to make the most out of their free time, and make Durant a better place.

Megan McFarland

Bryce Thralls, Staff Writer

The Holiday season is not the only time of the year for students to make a difference in their communities. Giving to those who are less fortunate is a year-long effort. Durant’s homeless population are in constant need of necessities such as shelter, food, water and healthcare. College may seem overwhelming, but even with a tight budget, students can make a great impact with a little effort.

For example, organizations such as Families Feeding Families, Hands for Hope food bank and the Boys & Girls Club are great volunteer opportunities that give back to the community.

The Hands for Hope food bank is a church funded program located across from Nautilus Fitness on Main Street. They offer a variety of products available for the entire community to come and grab-and-go as needed.

These types of nonprofit organizations are constantly looking for an extra set of hands. One Hands for Hope food bank employee said, “We would love to have kids from the college come and serve at the food bank.”

The Families Feeding Families is a community kitchen that serves dinner every weeknight. Meals are prepared by volunteers of Durant and all citizens are welcome to come, without any requirements or questions asked, for provisions.

Students are and have been a part of this meal service for many years, specifically the President’s Leadership Class, which volunteers every semester.

Students can purchase cost-effective items like deodorant, nonperishable foods, socks, underwear, shoes, etc. from affordable stores like Walmart, Big Lots, Dollar General, Family Dollar and Pruett’s.

Hands of Hope accepts hygiene and non-perishable items to give out at their walk-in store.

Families Feeding Families does not only need of volunteers to serve and spend time with the community members that come in, but are searching for volunteers to cook and provide food supplies to the kitchen. They are found at the old George Washington School at 314 East Main Street.

About the Contributors
Bryce Thralls, Staff Writer

Favorite food: Fried deer tenderloin

Favorite book/magazine: Fahrenheit 451

Dream job: Pastor, youth pastor, or journalist for a news agency

Favorite...

Megan McFarland, Managing Editor

Favorite food: Spaghetti or any kind of potatoes

Favorite book/magazine: As cliche as it is, I love Cosmo and People magazines. I also love reading...