Local disc golf league in Durant

Jordan Maxie explains what the corresponding numbers, on the discs represent:
1. Speed
2. Glide
3. Fade
4. Turn

Jordan Maxie explains what the corresponding numbers, on the discs represent: 1. Speed 2. Glide 3. Fade 4. Turn

Bryce Thralls

Bryce Thralls

Bryce Thralls, Staff Writer

Carl Albert Park officials, in Durant, Okla., found a new attraction from the community as a group known as the “Durant Disc Golf Club” seeks to leave its mark on the town.

The club had their weekly showdown on Tuesday, Oct. 30, with over 34 members participating. The club seeks an active role in the community, highlighting, “sportsmanship, professionalism, and integrity,” according to their mission statement.

The Players Packet can be found on their Facebook page, Durant Disc Golf. It outlines the specifics of how to join, the rules and what events happen that players can take part in the “ace pot” challenge.

Bryce Thralls
Austin Joines finishes his Par 3 with a putter sink into the basket.

Membership is $15.00, which gives access to bag tags, a form of ranking and potential completion to advance in the club. Every tournament requires a buy in of $6.00, membership or not, and goes to your bag tag status, not to mention the ace pot rewards if you buy into that as well.

The club was founded in 2017 under Mike Delloro, a SE alumn, and Craig Paker. The club was created for those who are fans of the sport and wanted to take an active role in playing the game.

The club does not have any connection with Southeastern Oklahoma State University, and has no current students playing in it, though a large majority of members are alumni that seek to gather local students to play in their tournament.

Saber, a local citizen, shared her thoughts about the club, noting that it was a family friendly organization and is “not focused so much on competitive play but community.” Saber has been an avid supporter of the organization and has been playing for over five years.

For new players, tips were given as to which discs to buy, and what to look for in a disc. Jordan Maxie, a member in the club, said, “It all depends on your preference to what plastic you find easiest for you to handle. You can buy them from online, like Amazon, or a site called Disc Mania. Academy has a good selection as well.”

Among the players, the overall popular disc was that of the “Driver,” a disc that is used at the first pitch, to gather the greatest distance from start to the basket. Ashton Brewer said, “The driver is my favorite, I can use it in all kinds of different spots. Yes, other discs have certain purposes, but it is easier for me to use.”

About the Contributor
Bryce Thralls, Staff Writer

Favorite food: Fried deer tenderloin

Favorite book/magazine: Fahrenheit 451

Dream job: Pastor, youth pastor, or journalist for a news agency

Favorite movie: The Goonies

Currently watching: “One Punch Man” on Netflix

Music of choice: EDM, Dubstep, Dance, and chillwave

Bryce is a Communication(journalism) major with a psychology minor who has been a member of the SE Student Publications since Fall 2018. He has served as staff writer. When not working on The Southeastern, Bryce enjoys fellowshipping in SE’s BCM. This year, she looks forward to going to Six Flags. Follow him on Twitter @BThralls