Breast Cancer Awareness

Not just for October

Jerai Billy, Staff Writer

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. According to Breastcancernow.org, October has become an, “annual international health campaign organized by major breast cancer charities to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research.”

It’s a simple TLC, Touch, Look and Check. There are signs and symptoms of breast cancer. The earliest breast cancer is diagnosed, the better the chance of successful treatment. It is important to check your breast regularly. Men are included in these tests, too. Although the nationalbreastcancer.org website states that only one in a thousand males are diagnosed with breast cancer, one can never be to cautious. The cancer forms in the breast tissues and every human has that, no matter the gender.

How does one check their breasts? There’s no special technique and no training necessary to perform a self-exam. Get to know your body, so you can detect when something is feeling off. Be sure to check the upper chest and armpit areas as well.

According to breastcancernow.org, “lumps are important to look for, and can be the first symptom of breast cancer for many women, but that’s not all you should be aware of pain in your breast , which is not normally a sign of breast cancer but is can be associated with other symptoms

Southeastern participates in breast cancer awareness by sporting pink at sporting events and making posters that hang in the Student Union.

Holy Hairiness November is now underway, so get hype with the No shave November. This month is a long journey during which participants forgo shaving and grooming in order to evoke conversation and raise cancer awareness.

“The goal of No-Shave November is to grow awareness by embracing the hair, which many cancer patients lose, and letting it grow wild and free. Donate the money you typically spend on shaving and grooming to educate about cancer prevention, save lives and aid the fighting the battle,” stated no-shave.org.

Breast cancer is a dangerous and scary occurrence that shouldn’t be limited to a single month of the year. Women (and men) should take the time each month to perform a self-examination. Forget about “saving the ta-tas” and focus on saving lives.

Emily Dahl

About the Contributors
Jerai Billy, Staff Writer

Favorite food: Chicken Alfredo

Favorite book/magazine: Man’s search for meaning

Dream job: Rich people person

Favorite movie: P.H.A.T. Girls

Currently watching: Nothing…

Music of choice: Anything and everything really. Right now, it’s Rob Zombie.

Jerai is a Communication major (emphasis in Advertising/Public relations) and a minor in journalism who has been a member of the SE Student Publications since Fall 2016. She has served as staff writer. When not working on The Southeastern, Jerai enjoys chilling with her friends and being involved on campus. This year, she looks forward to meeting more people and doing more on campus.

Emily Dahl, Staff Writer

Favorite food: Italian

Favorite book/magazine: Mortal Instruments series

Dream job: National Geographic photographer

Favorite movie: Book Thief

Currently watching: Last Chance

Music of choice: Changes with her mood

Emily is a Journalism major with a graphic design minor who has been a member of the SE Student Publications since Fall 2018. She has served as staff writer. When not working on The Southeastern, Emily enjoys reading and spending time with her cat. This year, she looks forward to embracing her Freshman year. Follow her on Twitter @emareeeee (5 e’s)