Can you dance?

Students+and+leaders+in+the+community+are+trying+more+ways+to+spread+awareness+about+domestic+violence+this+October.+

By Emily Dahl

Students and leaders in the community are trying more ways to spread awareness about domestic violence this October.

Shalee Buzan, Contributing Writer

Domestic violence takes its toll on everyone in and around the situation. Being able to defeat the problem is hard, but moving on afterward can be the hardest struggle. Learning how to trust someone, how to cope and how to help other people who are going through what you did can allow you to find the good from the bad.

Southeastern senior, Colton Russell, uses his dance minor and past experiences with domestic abuse to raise awareness with college students. After having a previous unhealthy relationship, Russell choreographed a dance in honor of Domestic Violence Awareness month, and presented it in a Dance Showcase class earlier this month.

SEPD Officer Tasha Yarbrough participated in the shirt painting at the Love.Sex.Lies event on September 28. She is showing that the SEPD is there to help those dealing with domestic violence cases.

His dance consists of two female dancers who fight against abuse in their relationship with one another. “I want to show people that domestic abuse is real and that it happens in every community including the LGBT’s,” said Russell.

If his dance is powerful enough and meets the preset requirements, it will advance to the showcase in spring where it will be performed before the student body.

If you have ideas or are inspired to spread awareness in creative, effective ways, reach out and get those projects started. They could make a big impact in someone’s life.