Homecoming activities scheduled for Oct. 11-13

There is no excuse to miss out on Homecoming events this year! Stay in the loop with this graphic.

Megan McFarland

Megan McFarland

University Communications, Contributing Writer

DURANT, Okla. – Southeastern Oklahoma State University will celebrate Homecoming 2018 on October 11-13.

The traditional Homecoming parade is set for Thursday October 11, at 6:30 p.m.  in downtown Durant.  That evening’s event will kick off the Homecoming festivities; following the parade there will be food trucks and a live band at Market Square presented by Durant Main Street for all Southeastern alumni and friends and the Durant community. This will be the second year in a row that Southeastern and Durant High School will hold a parade together.

Other traditional activities include the 32nd annual Whang Bang Alumni Golf Tournament on Friday, October 12, at Chickasaw Pointe.  Registration opens at 8 a.m. and a shotgun start is scheduled for 9 a.m.

The Distinguished Awards Banquet recognizing Distinguished Alumni and Distinguished Former Faculty is set for 5:30 p.m. Friday in the Visual and Performing Arts Center.

This year’s Distinguished Alumni recipients are retired Col. Tray Ardese, Dr. Russell DeBose-Boyd, and Dr.  Barbara Rackley.

This year’s Distinguished Former Faculty award honorees are Dr. Kenneth Chinn, Dr. Jane Elder, and Dr. Ken Elder.

The Homecoming Bonfire is scheduled for Friday at 8:30 p.m. in the Amphitheater on campus.

On Saturday, October 13, the Alumni Tailgate Party opens at 11 a.m. in Tailgate Alley across from Paul Laird Field.

Live music will be provided by The Arbuckle Xpress Band (11:15 a.m.) and Ty England (noon-1:30 p.m.).

Also on Saturday at 11 a.m., a 30th anniversary reunion of the 1988 Oklahoma Intercollegiate Conference championship football team will take place on the lawn of Bloomer Sullivan Gymnasium.

Southeastern’s Savage Storm will kick off at 2 p.m. against Southern Arkansas University in the Homecoming football game at Paul Laird Field. During pre-game ceremonies on the field at 1:40 p.m., the Distinguished Alumni and Distinguished Former Faculty Award recipients will be introduced.

For more information and a complete list of homecoming activities, visit

http://www.se.edu/alumni/schedule-of-events-2/.

About the Photographer
Megan McFarland, Managing Editor

Favorite food: Spaghetti or any kind of potatoes

Favorite book/magazine: As cliche as it is, I love Cosmo and People magazines. I also love reading YA fictions and romance novels.

Dream job: PR package designer for a big cosmetic company/brand

Favorite movie: The Proposal for laughs or The Blind Side for tears. I kinda LOVE Sandra Bullock.

Currently watching: Zumbo’s Just Desserts on Netflix. I binge-watch baking shows…

Music of choice: Country, pop, classical instrumentals, or indie/alternative. It changes with the seasons.

Megan is a Communication/AdPR major with a graphic design minor who has been a member of the SE Student Publications since Fall 2017. She has served as staff writer, News Editor, and is now the Managing Editor. When not working on The Southeastern, Megan enjoys relaxing with her dog, creating videos for her YouTube channel, and experimenting in the kitchen. This year, she looks forward to growing The Southeastern, creating a new media organization on campus, and focusing on her professional portfolio. Follow her on Twitter @MeganMcFarland7