Surviving college life in Durant

Johanna Cornejo, Staff Writer

Moving into a new town can be an exciting yet scary experience. Being by yourself and figuring things out as you go can be tough. You may not know where all the best hangouts spots are. Here are some tips to surviving college life in Durant:

• Super Wash Laundry: Filled with plenty of washers, dryers and long countertops to do your folding. This is also a dry-cleaning location, so if you need your sorority formal dress or job interview suit pressed, this is the place to go. They are located at 1011 W Main St.
  • The Spin Cycle: Located 1.5 miles from the university on 1st Ave., this laundromat/tanning salon should definitely be on your list. Their washers and dryers come in multiple sizes, so you can save money. They also have large folding stations and ironing boards. Finally, if you do not have time to stick around, you can drop off your laundry before you to go to class or work and grab it when you finish your errands, or get your tan on while you wait. Plus they have free wifi!
  • IHOP: This is one of best choices in town for a late-night food run. It is a great place to do school work. Whether you are craving pancakes or burgers, they have so many options to choose from. Located at 901 Westside Drive and are 24 hours a day.
  • Whataburger: Fast food restaurants can really come in handy when you need food and this chain is a game changer. It is tasty and definitely fills you up, whether that being a burger, chicken sandwich or a biscuit. Plus, they are open 24/7! They are located on W Main St. by the Walmart.
  • Budgy’s Pizza: Forget about Domino’s…Budgy’s is a cheap place to get sandwiches, pizzas and salads. When you can get a great tasting large pizza for $7, why wouldn’t you? Your pizza will be ready for pick up or out for delivery! They are located at 810 N 1st Ave.
  • Dandy’s: This donut shop is one of the most affordable and delicious places in town to satisfy your sweet tooth. They open at 11 p.m. (except on Saturdays) for those late nights study sessions. Located at 111 N 8th Ave.
  • Hotshots Coffee: With a valid student ID, Southeastern students get a 10% discount for their purchase of amazing coffee, tea, shake or sweet treat. They also have plenty of comfy seats inside and out. They can be found at 2832 W University Blvd.
  • First United Bank: Not far from campus, they have student accounts, where you get a $25 bonus, a free southeastern shirt and an instant debit card. Located at 2025 W University Blvd.
  • The District Cinema: If you and your friends are looking for affordable, light-hearted fun, The District is where it is at. The cinema located inside the Choctaw Casino, has $5 movie nights every Tuesday, bowling alley and an arcade. They are just a 10-minute drive off US-75 in Durant, Okla.