Snapchat stock drops $1.3 billion

Many Snapchat users have threatened to stop using the app after a new round of interface updates were implemented.

androidcommunity.com

androidcommunity.com

Derek Dophied, Contributing Writer

Snapchat has recently updated its interface which changed the way the application works.

Some of the changes, such as removing the ‘story page’ all together, has led to a lot of backlash from Snapchat users. 1.2 million users recently signed a Change.org  petition urging the changes be undone.

A recent tweet from Kylie Jenner may have also aided in the Snapchat stock loss of $1.3 billion in value.

On Feb. 21, Jenner tweeted, “Sooo, does anyone else not open Snapchat anymore?  Or is it just me…ugh this is so sad.”

Although Jenner has over 24 million Twitter followers it is doubtful that one tweet resulted in a Snapchat decline.

SE alumni Ethan Prus said that the main issues users are having with this newest update “are all related to poor interface design.” He also stated that, “The interface is not easy to use. Many complaints that I have come from opening the wrong section of the app by moving left whenever I mean to tap or tapping when I mean to swipe.”

Jesse Risner, junior broadcasting major,  is not a fan of the new updates.

“I believe that they tried to make the application more convenient, but it’s now too similar to Instagram. The new interface seems very cluttered to me.”

There are, however, a few users who have not been bothered by this new set of changes.

SE adjunct instructor Kristi Rothrock stated that although she never really watches people’s stories, “I really like the fact that my unread information is now at the top of the home screen.” Rothrock also said she enjoys the ability to, “clear ads by tapping them after swiping over to a different section of the application” and is happy with the ability to ignore stories that she doesn’t care about.

Only time will tell whether Snapchat will revise its decision to change the interface.

About the Writer
Derek Dophied, Staff Writer
Favorite food: Hamburgers or anything spicy. Favorite book/magazine: Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace Dream job: Freelance copyeditor and proofreader Favorite movie:Evil Dead 2 Currently watching: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Always) Music of choice: Ice Ice Baby Derek is a Communication major with an English minor who has been a member of the SE Student...