Christmas tradition continues at Southeastern

By Jerai Billy

Southeastern faculty and staff enjoy refreshments at the President’s house.

Jerai Billy, Staff Writer

Despite the dark and gloomy weather Southeastern Christmas traditions began on Monday, Dec 4 with a gathering at the President’s House for food. The Southeastern Band played Christmas carols as faculty and staff enjoyed refreshments provided by the University.
With rain pouring down, the Christmas tree was lit and the Southeastern tradition lived on.
The night ended with the 96th annual Candle lighting ceremony at 7:30 p.m. in Montgomery Auditorium.
This event was free and open to the public and is one of the longest continuing traditions on campus. The Candlelighting is a festive concert presented by the Department of Music.
The candles were lit by members of the Cardinal Key Honor Society, who walked gracefully down the auditorium aisles in black dresses.
The long-standing Candlelighting tradition continued with new performers and joyful Christmas carols.
The auditorium was nicely put together and welcoming. Despite the wet weather the audience was still in the Christmas spirit to sing along to the Christmas carols.

Jerai Billy
Student conductor, Chelsea Dixon leads the crowd in song during the 96th annual Candlelighting concert

The “Sing with Us” part of the night was led by student conductors, Georgia Mulkey, Courtney Miles, Kristen Simpson and Chelsea Dixon.
They conducted the crowd through songs like “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire,” “Oh, the weather Outside is Frightful,” and “Angels We have Heard on High.”
The entertainment was cheerful at the Candlelighting; the performers included the SHARE Children’s Chorus, Jeri Walker, Jourdan Howell, Grace Haynes, Allyson Thomas, Haley Moore, Jeremy Blackwood, Illuminato Baroque Orchestra, Stephanie Emberley, Joshua Nannestad and the SOSU Symphonic Chorus.