A new era in music

BTS, a K-Pop band, poses on the red carpet at the American Music Awards. They are the first Korean Pop band to e invited to the award show.

Billboard.com

Billboard.com

Johanna Cornejo, Staff Writer

On November 19 the 2017 American Music Awards (or AMA) premiered and welcomed musicians in genres from country to rap. This year was a little different, the AMAs welcomed Korean pop group BTS, making them the first K-pop group to ever be invited to the award show.

BTS was welcomed to the United States via Twitter by their fans and AMAs. They showed their excitement for their upcoming appearance by tweeting with the hashtag #WelcomeToUSBTS. The hashtag trended at number 3 worldwide.

BTS received an explosive response at the American Music Awards held at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, where they performed their song “DNA.”

Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Not only did they receive a lot of love from the fans and audience present at the awards ceremony but they also received a lot of attention after the show in response to their performance.

This is one of the most interesting and important event that has happened in the United States. Music has also been a common language for every nation and will break barriers between different people. BTS being an example of that.

Artists who did not know BTS discovered them at the Billboard Music Awards back in May, when they won “Best Social Artist” for their activities online with fans. They won against famous American singers like Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez and Shawn Mendes.

After the broadcast of the AMAs, BTS was the number one searched term on Google search trends in the United States, with over one million searches.Kevin Winter/Getty Images

After the ceremony, artist have lined up to work with the band. So far they have worked with Rapper Wale, The Chainsmokers and just recently released a remix of their song “MIC Drop,” which was produced by Steve Aoki and featured rapper Desiinger.

BTS has also appeared on talk shows including “The Late Late Show With James Corden,” “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” and “The Ellen DeGeneres Show.”

With BTS leaving such a big mark on the United States since the award ceremony, this is a way for others to expand their horizon with not just music, but also in connecting with others without judgement attached to what they look or sound like.

They have truly begun something new in the music industry within the U.S.

About the Writer
Johanna Cornejo, Staff Writer

Favorite food: Chinese

Favorite book/magazine: I am Legend

Dream job: Music Journalist

Favorite movie: Sherlock Holmes

Currently watching: The Office

Music of choice: R&B

Johanna is a Communication major with a dance minor who has been a member of the SE Student Publications since Fall 2017. She has served as staff writer. When not working on The Southeastern, Johanna enjoys listening to music and dancing. This year, she looks forward to creating more articles that relate to her future career. Follow her on Twitter @jojocornejo15