Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

Dr.+Kyle+Stafford%2C+the+Vice+President+of+University+Advancement%2C+speaks+with+prospective+students+outside+of+the+Student+Union+between+break+out+sessions.+
Dr. Kyle Stafford, the Vice President of University Advancement, speaks with prospective students outside of the Student Union between break out sessions.

Dan Hoke

Dan Hoke

Wyatt Hubbard, Staff Writer

Southeastern Oklahoma State University held SE Live on Wednesday, Nov. 15.

SE Live is an open house event on Southeastern’s Durant campus that is targeted toward high school juniors, seniors and their parents.

Prospective Southeastern students attended an opening session in which they saw the Southeastern Band, Cheerleaders, and Sparks Dance Team perform. They also met the True Blue Ambassadors, a student group on campus that aids with student recruitment. Students had the opportunity to tour campus, learn about academic majors and receive information on admissions, scholarships and financial aid.

Dan Hoke
Dr. Tim Smith, chemistry and computer sciences professor, presents to potential students at SE Live.

“Even though there is structure to the day, these students are able to construct the day how they want. They have the opportunity to choose what breakout sessions to attend, whether to go on the campus tour, and to seek out faculty to visit with,”  said Director of Admission and Recruitment, Jeremy Rowland.

“There are a couple other programs on campus that offer activities as well during this time. For example, Aviation tours are given at the airport, Sparks Dance team has a dance session, and the Native American Center host Stickball on the front lawn,” he added.

Chris Miller, a senior from Cordell high school, is planning on majoring criminology and likes the fact that Southeastern is a smaller university.

Dan Hoke
Dr. Wayne Jones, Chair of the Occupational Safety and Health program, talks to student who is interested in the Occupational Health pathway outside of the Henry G. Bennett Memorial Library.

“I feel like you’re going to do better in a smaller area and that it sets you up to succeed,” Miller said.

There were 60 High Schools represented from approximately 15 different counties at SE Live.

“We had 392 students attend and approximately 75 parents and other high school officials,” Rowland said.

• Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

Showcase

Stay stress-free for finals week

• Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

Native American Heritage Day

• Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

Showcase

Southeastern closes the season by beating ECU in the ‘Hundred Year War’

• Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

Showcase

Going the Distance: Rebekah Christman looks to build her success

• Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

A&E

Tragic Opera ends with rave reviews

• Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

Northern California in ashes

• Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

Showcase

SE Flight Team qualifies for Nationals

• Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

Showcase

SE Golfers stand out in GAC

• Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

The Hogan and Keithley Collection exhibit

• Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

Take Back the Night March and Candlelight Vigil

Southeastern’s SE Live was a success