Mass shootings in U.S. on the rise

leoweekly.com

leoweekly.com

Johanna Cornejo, Staff Writer

As the year of 2017 comes to an end, the rates of gun shootings have increased. The number of mass shootings in the United States have reached 307 since the church shooting in Texas at the beginning of November killing 26 people.

To put this in a different perspective, 310 days out of this year have already passed, this means that there has nearly been as many mass shootings as days in 2017.

On October 1, 2017 A gunman opened fire at a Las Vegas music festival, killing at least 58 and is titled “The Deadliest Mass Shooting in U.S. History.” Gunman Stephen Paddock opened fire on thousands and was later found dead in the hotel room.

He was founded with 20 firearms and explosives in his position. With leads and tips received, there was no sign of a motive behind Paddock’s decision to open fire.

A little over a month later, Devin Kelley opened fire at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, killing up to 26 people. The shooting was called the deadliest shooting in modern Texas history.

Kelley, who was a part of the United States Air Force, until he was sent to a mental hospital for threatening his commanders, was known for abusing his wife and child.

One question that comes up when these tragedies happen is what can help prevent them. The answer is that there is no answer.

There has been over 307 shootings this year alone and as a society, we have yet to find any type of resolution simply because there are so many outcomes.

There are so many issues behind the shootings. With the Vegas shooting, Paddock did not even have a motive to be found by police while in the Texas shooting, Kelley did it out of mental health issues and revenge.

The best we could do as individuals, is notice any signs but to not take extreme precautions. If people around you are isolating themselves or becoming noticeably different, be observant and check on them to see how they are doing.

This is one of the biggest issues we face as a society and as a society, we have to work together to find a way to resolved it if possible.