Award-winning filmmaker, Tim Rundel, visits Southeastern

Filmmaker, Tim Rundel, speaks with Southeastern student, Spencer Patton, after presenting his latest award-winning film, Brother Valentine. Rundel took time after his presentation to speak individually with students and hand out his DVD.

Colton Tollett

Colton Tollett

Colton Tollett, Staff Writer

Southeastern campus was visited by documentary filmmaker Tim Rundel on Wednesday Sept. 27.

The Student Union auditorium was filled with students who got the opportunity to view his latest award winning film, Brother Valentine. Rundel provided an in-depth look into the world of documentary filmmaking. The program featured a Q&A that allowed students to ask questions and learn more about the filmmaking process.

Tim Rundel, a native to Oklahoma, found interest in telling stories related to the state that he grew up in.

“There’s such a distinct culture here,” Rundel explained. “I think there are a lot of amazing stories that can be found in Oklahoma. It just takes someone to go out there and find them.”

The latest story in Brother Valentine was one that was very close to home for Rundel. The documentary explored the shocking murder of a 21 year old mother of two by her own brother who was only 15 years old at the time. The victim was the mother of Rundel’s wife. Although the crime occurred over 40 years ago, the events still haunt the family today.

Despite the nature of the crime, Rundel chose to make the documentary with the intention of promoting forgiveness and the importance of addressing mental health issues within communities.

“It’s a difficult situation,” Rundel said. “My wife’s grandparents lost two children that day. I hope this film shows the impact that mental health issues can have on families.”The film was featured in a number of festivals and won the award for “Best Oklahoma Documentary” at the Red Dirt Film Fest.

Colton Tollett
Students pose with Tim Rundel and the new copies of his latest film on DVD, Brother Valentine.

• Award-winning filmmaker, Tim Rundel, visits Southeastern

Showcase

SE Golfers stand out in GAC

The Hogan and Keithley Collection exhibit

Take Back the Night March and Candlelight Vigil

Showcase

Southeastern celebrates spectacular Homecoming with spectacular football comeback

A&E

Peter and the Starcatcher: a trip back to childhood

Southeastern aides in Hurricane Harvey relief efforts

SE Merchant Fair has record numbers

The Holisso 2016-17

Showcase

State Senate presents citation to SEOSU Coach Mike Metheny

Spring commencement held Saturday at Bloomer Sullivan Arena