SE responds to protest with free hugs

By Haley Barnett

Student Jewel Zukoski embraces faculty member Michelle Hornbeak outside the Fine Arts building during the “Free Hugs” event.

Haley Barnett, Staff Writer

On October 31, protesters stood outside of the Fine Arts building and verbally attacked and harassed students. The Southeastern community was left hurt and in shock. Since the incident Southeastern has taken steps to ensure students that the institution does not stand for that type of behavior.

Departments across campus have written mission statements on their office windows and banners have been placed across campus to let students share what they stand for. The most notable act occurred on November 10, outside the fine arts building where the protestors stood. Junior, Mario Giamporcaro stated “I feel that we actually had a sense of community, that we didn’t need to spread hatred and that we needed to spread love and that feeling of self-worth.”

Student, Ralontae Worley, standing outside the Fine Arts building offering free hugs to passing students.
Haley Barnett

Student affairs faculty members and students held signs that read “free hugs” and “We believe in you”, while standing in the same spot as protestors had a week prior. Many students stopped to hug and thank staff members for taking time out of their day to show that the Southeastern community is a positive one.

Seeing the staff take time to show their students they care shocked, Giamporcaro, “I felt like the staff members cared about us and that they did this not because they had to but because they wanted to show that they care about all of their students here at Southeastern Oklahoma State. They don’t care about the color of your skin or what religion you worship. They just want us to succeed.” he said. The “Free Hugs” event will not be a weekly occurrence but students from organizations across campus are reaching out to get involved in spreading positivity.