NWOSU Rodeo wraps up SE rodeo season this semester

Kylee Bennett competes in goat tying.

By Photo courtesy of Dan Hoke

Kylee Bennett competes in goat tying.

Brittney Barr, Staff Writer

The Southeastern Rodeo team wrapped up their fall season October 27th-30th in Alva, Oklahoma. The Women’s team continued to excel with a second place team finish, while the men’s team took home a fifth place finish. There were also two individual championship titles won by Southeastern team members.
Freshman, Kylee Bennet is on fire her first season of college rodeo. Bennet tied for first place in the first round in the goat tying with a time of 6.1. She came back with a time of 6.3 to win the short go along with the average to be named the NWOSU Goat Tying Champion.

This is the second time Bennet has dominated the goat tying for the weekend. The first being the opening rodeo in Colby, Kansas.
The next pair of champions from Southeastern were team roping partners Brody Braden and Kolton White. These two are no strangers from the winners circle. While defending their title as the 2016 Central Plains Region Team Roping Champions, they are on the track back to the College National Finals.

Kylee Bennett was the 2016 NWOSU rodeo goat tying champion.
Brittney Barr

The two opened up the rodeo with a win in the long go with a time of 5.8. They came back in the short go with a time of 7.3 to secure their spots as NWOSU Team roping Champions.
Helping the Women’s team to their second place win was Shelby Whiting. Whiting posted a time of 6.3 right behind Bennet in the first round of the goat tying. She came back with a 6.7 in the short go to finish third in the average.
Not far behind was teammate Shiann Henderson clocking a 6.4 in the first round to end up fourth. A little bad luck would tale her out of the average in the short go, but she is still on the track to make her second appearance at the College National Finals in 2017.
Cheyenne Epps had a time of 12.74 in the first round of the barrel racing to squeeze into the short go in ninth place. She turned in a 12.77 in the short go placing eighth, but wasn’t fast enough to keep her in the average.
Sophomore, Wyatt Muggli split 10th/11th in the long round of the calf roping with a time of 10.7. He came back to the short go with a 10.4 go place fifth in the short go and seventh in the average.
Wyatt Sullivan joined teammates Braden and White in the team roping finals. He and partner Maggie Porter from Northeastern Oklahoma A&M started the weekend with a time of 10.5. They had a little bad luck with penalties in the short go to finish with a time of 27.7 but were still able to finish fourth in the average.
Roughstock riders Trey Thomas, Dustin Brewster, and Cole Pacheco made Southeastern’s presence known behind the bucking chutes when they each made it back to the championship short round.
Trey Thomas split 4th/5th in the first go of the bareback riding with a score of 74. He also split 4th/5th in the short go with a score of 67 to put him in fourth place in the average.
Dustin Brewster scored a 61 in the first go of the saddle bronc riding but came back stronger in the short go with a score of 72. This score would help split 3rd-5th in the round and to finish third in the average.
Cole Pacheco had a wild ride in the first round of the saddle bronc riding, but hung on for a score of 50 points. He had better luck in the short go to match his treammate, Brewster with a score of 72. He also split 3rd-5th and finished third int he average.
The Women’s team continues to prove themselves as they end the fall season in first place with a lead over Western Oklahoma State by 740 points. The Women’s team is ranked 5th in the nation only a mere 33 points behind fourth place.
The Men’s team is ranked fourth in the region with more than 1,200 points.
The Southeastern Rodeo team’s season will pick back up in February in Manhattan, Kansas.