Debate, don’t hate: Final debate watch party

Trump and Clinton ferociously participating in the presidential debate held at Washington University in St. Louis on Oct. 9, 2016. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

Ivy Phelps, News Editor

The final debate watch party hosted at Southeastern was held in Shearer Hall at 7:45 p.m. on Oct. 9.

Popcorn and other sugary snacks provided would turn out to be comforting for students who felt overwhelmed, exhausted, and distraught following the lengthier debate Sunday night.

Considering this most recent debate was held on a weekend, the turn out was slightly less than the previous two debate watch parties. However, there were approximately 10 watchers in Shearer Hall.

The watch party protocol remained static throughout this debate. Meaning, hosts Mike Davis and Shannon McCraw silenced the television immediately after the debate and watchers would share their commentary without the media’s influence.

Participants in the watch party commented on the moderators of the debate. The moderators of the Oct. 9 debate were Anderson Cooper and Martha Raddatz. Watchers were impressed with the assertiveness of these moderators comparatively to previous moderators.

Watchers also commented on Donald Trump’s accusation that Hillary Clinton was given more time to speak when in fact, Trump spoke for 40 minutes and 10 seconds and Clinton spoke for 39 minutes and 5 seconds.

Participants in the debate watch party were encouraged to tweet throughout the debate using the hashtag #sedebatewatch. Check out some of the tweets from the debate watch parties.

The final debate will be on Oct. 19 at 8 p.m. However, there will not be a watch party hosted at Southeastern for this debate due to fall break.