Why recycling on campus is important

Universal recycling symbol (Photo courtesy of Bing.com)

Yingjie Zhu, Staff Writer

Recycling is the process of collecting and processing materials that would otherwise be thrown away as trash and turning them into new products. Recycling can benefit your community and the environment.

Paper waste happens almost everyday around us. When you are not satisfied with your printed-paper, throw it away. Leaflets you get from others and advertisement papers sent to your mailbox cause paper waste when you throw them away.

Facts about paper and paper waste:

• More than 199 tons of paper has already been produced.
  • 324 liters of water is used to make 1 kilogram of paper.
  • 10 liters of water is needed to make one piece of A4 paper.
  • 93% of paper comes from trees.
  • 50% of the waste of businesses is composed of paper.
  • Recycling 1 ton of paper saves around 682.5 gallons of oil, 26,5000 liters of water and trees.
  • Packaging makes up 1/3 or more of our trash.
  • S. offices use 12.1 trillion sheets of paper a year.
  • Paper accounts for 25% of landfill waste and 33% of municipal waste.

The facts above show that we should pay more attention to paper waste. Some people may just notice that paper waste will directly cause waste of trees.

Trees are not only used to make papers, but also help reduce global warming. Another way to help recycling is driving cars less and riding or walking more. Just walking on campus instead of driving is a good way and it is also a way to keep fit. When you walk around campus, you will find a footprint sticker on the wall in many buildings to tell you how many steps you walk there.

Also, if you want to do recycling on campus, you can go to a place where near the biology science building. When you go there, you will notice a sigh “RECYCLING” It will open from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through Monday to Friday. You can bring all sorted recyclables (except glass) there, including from home. However, items must be bagged or boxed and they must be clean.

Recycling will bring a lot of benefits not only to people’s lives, but also the whole world. It will reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators. Conserves natural resources such as timber, water and minerals. Reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change.