Constitution Day reminds students to exercise and inform themselves of their rights

By Ivy Phelps

Matt Mickle, Thomas Marcum, Whitney Kerr and political scientist Conner Alford discuss voting rights with students during Constitution Day activities.

Ivy Phelps, News Editor

Constitution Day was held on Sept. 16 in the Student Union at 11 p.m. Constitution Day was hosted by Mike Davis. The panel consisted of various local attorneys including Matt Mickle, Thomas Marcum, Whitney Kerr and political scientist Conner Alford.

Each audience member was given a complimentary miniature constitution upon arrival. It was a full house and many students had to stand in order to observe the event. The first two rows were reserved for students associated with the Presidential Leadership Class.

While many students may have initially decided to attend this event due to a class requirement or extra credit opportunity, the room was buzzing with curiosity and intrigue.

Constitution Day began with an overview of the Constitution. Topics discussed included voter fraud, racial voting issues, the Electoral College, and potential modern voting practices.Although the event lasted under an hour, the panel was able to give an insightful overview of advice and knowledge on various issues.

The panel had time for one question from an audience member. The audience member’s question explored the topic of a potential voting app. This would be a solution for qualified voters who cannot financially afford to miss work to cast their vote or who simply do not want to wait in line for the majority of their day. While there were differing opinions among panel members, the ultimate consensus was that funding is currently unavailable for an endeavor such as this.

One of the greatest constitutional rights American citizens above the age of 18 has is to vote. Exercise your right by informing yourself about each candidate, registering to vote, and voting in the upcoming election.
Southeastern is holding a series of debate watch parties starting on Monday, Sept. 26 in Shearer Hall and Suites Great Room. The following watch parties will be held on Oct. 4 and Oct. 9. Each event will start at 7:45 p.m.