Student Wellness Center launches a suicide prevention campaign

Haley Barnett, Staff Writer

Sept. 5 – 11 was National Suicide Prevention Week. The Student Wellness Center launched a social media campaign to promote the weeklong event. Shana Franklin, a faculty member at the student counseling center said, “We have been posting statistics, pictures, hot lines, warning signs, etc., everyday.”

The majority of individuals who suffer from suicidal thoughts also suffer from anxiety and depression. A high percentage of college students struggle with mental health at some point. “The majority of students that we see at the counseling center are struggling with anxiety and/or depression,” Franklin said.

Knowing how to take care of one’s mental health is an important factor in suicide prevention. “The best ways that students can improve their mental health on their own is to establish healthy coping skills, engage in self-care behaviors, and share their feelings with trusted individuals,” Franklin said.

“The can also seek the help of a counselor on campus,” Franklin said. The counseling center is located on the second floor of the Glenn D. Johnson Student Union. There are openings currently but spots are limited. Once those spots are full students will be put on a waiting list. The counseling center can also offer outside referrals if a student or the counselor does not think they can be placed on the waiting list.

There are 24/7 hotlines that anyone can access if they need help:

• Mental Health Crisis Hotline – 1-800-522-1090
  • Lifeline – 1-800-273-TALK(8255)
  • You can also text BRAVE to 741-741 to reach a Crisis Text Line

The counseling center’s social media campaign can be followed at their Facebook page “SE Student Wellness” and their Twitter handle is @SE_SWS. If you or someone you know is struggling you can reach the counseling center at 580-745-2988.