Block party welcomes students to campus

Brittney Barr, Staff Writer

Southeastern students were welcomed back on campus with numerous activities throughout the first week of school. One of the most talked about events each year is the block party that takes place in front of Shearer Hall.

The block party was held Tuesday, August 16. Students were invited to come enjoy food and activities to kick off the semester.

There were inflatables, music, Go Greek sign ups, a picture booth and a volleyball tournament that has become a favorite of Southeastern students.

The Baptist Collegiate Ministry hosted a volleyball tournament at the block party at the Shearer Hall sand volleyball court.
J.D. Anteau

The Southeastern cheerleading team and the Southeastern Sparks Dance team also had their first performances of the fall semester at the block party.

Southeastern Sparks Dance Team performs at the block party on August 16
J.D. Anteau

Junior, Emily Duty has attended the block party the three years she has been at Southeastern.

Emily said, “The block party is one of the biggest events at the beginning of the year. Getting to see all of my friends for the first time in awhile and seeing how happy everyone is to see each other makes you feel so loved. This is why I love Southeastern.”

The block party is a great way for students to meet new people and to bring everyone together for the new school year. The fun and welcoming atmosphere that is felt on campus is even more apparent during these activities. It has become a great tradition that students look forward to attending.