Leaving a legacy: Dr. Charla Hall announces retirement

By Dan Hoke

Dr. Charla Hall has been a full-time faculty member in the Behavioral Sciences Department for 24 years. Dr. Hall will retire from Southeastern Oklahoma State University at the end of the Spring 2022 semester.

Haley Hostetler, Contributor

After serving as a full-time faculty member in the Behavioral Sciences Department for 24 years, Dr. Charla Hall has announced the Spring 2022 semester will be her last. During her time at Southeastern Oklahoma State University, Dr. Hall spent 10 years as a coordinator for the master’s program in counseling and a was department chair for nearly four years. However, her role as an educator  is only one part of her legacy at Southeastern. She will also be remembered for her kindness, wisdom and more.

Dr. Hall taught many classes at Southeastern, including Introduction to Psychology and Positive Psychology. However, her favorite class to teach has been her self-care class. “It provides skills that are useful right now but also information and skills that students can take into the workforce,” she said.

She has always had a heart for teaching and bringing new ideas to the Southeastern campus. Some of her most notable ideas include installing the labyrinth behind the Fine Arts Building and the Kindness Rock Garden outside of the Russell Building.

Dr. Hall has made many memories in her time at Southeastern, but said she will miss lecture discussions with her students the most.

She would like to leave students with the advice to not become too wrapped up in studying or organizations to miss out on other opportunities. She advises students to take advantage of campus events and enjoy the journey, because “once you get out of college, life is different and today you just have opportunities in college that you don’t have other places.” She also encourages students to get out of their comfort zone and try new things to help figure out what you want to do and where you are meant to be.

As for what she will be doing during retirement, Dr. Hall said, “The glory of retirement to me is I do not have specific plans and I am trying to be open and not schedule my life.” She is looking forward to an open schedule and having the flexibility to visit her daughter at Cornell University whenever she wants to. She also intends to read more, volunteer for the Blue Zones Project and volunteer on the Southeastern campus.