Percussion ensemble fall concert

Ieyanna Williams

Ieyanna Williams, Staff Writer

Southeastern Oklahoma State University Music Department held a percussion ensemble concert in the Fine Arts Recital Hall on Tuesday, November 8 2016 at 7:30p.m. Many students attended the concert and performed.

Southeastern student Courtney Miles said, “the best part about the percussion concert was the black lights.” Miles added, “percussion concerts are always creative.”

Music major Chelsea Dixon said she “liked the different cultures portrayed throughout the sets and the concerts song choice was very creative and enjoyable.” There were different dynamics in each piece during the performance and diversity in the music

The performers had a fresh energy that caused the audience to really get into the performance.

Performers included Michael Durnberger, Skylar Fletcher, Carlos Ibarra, John Jackson, Joe Jackson, Kelsey James, Marydell Koval, Cheyenne Owen, Raphael Ramirez, Kaden Sanders, Hannah Schneider, James Stout and Rhyan Young. The music department puts on concerts every semester to give students an opportunity to showcase the music they have been working on. The student performers get the opportunity to play for their friends and family.

The SOSU Percussion Ensemble performs literature from the standard repertoire written specifically for percussion as well as arrangements of pieces ranging from the classical literature to contemporary transcriptions of popular tunes. The group utilizes all standard drums, keyboard percussion, and auxiliary percussion as well as electronic percussion, bass, keyboard synthesizer, and drum set.