SE athletics make the best of GAC suspension

By gosoutheastern

“I see this as a blessing in disguise for our program….We can handle whatever is thrown at us,” declares head volleyball coach, Nicole Solum.

Karley Freeman, Staff Writer

As the Great American Conference announced Aug. 14, all fall and winter sports have been suspended until Dec. 31.

In light of this news, many students, faculty and fans have been left wondering what happens next. Though perhaps the question we should be asking is how does this affect the student athletes?

Skye Lowe, senior and wide receiver on the SE football team, stated, “This was supposed to be my last season and now I have no idea if I’m going to get it back or if that’s it.”

Keely Watson, senior and cheer captain of the SE cheer team, said, “Having sports to look forward to each week just brings a different vibe to the campus that I don’t think can be replaced.”

No matter what sport it is, each is an integral part of the college fun. Without them, the experience just won’t be the same. This is the feeling that many students are experiencing.

However, once sporting events are able to be enjoyed again, the coaches can be confident in knowing their athletes will be fully prepared to play.

Tyler J. Fenwick, head coach of the SE football team, feels for his players, even more so for the seniors. “Normally when you are a senior, you are able to count down to your last game and you know when it is coming, but for a couple of our guys their career had to come to an abrupt end,” he stated.

On the bright side, though the football team was unable to practice in the spring, they can now spend the fall semester in the weight room to help get them ready. “I feel confident in this team that they will be prepared and they will be ready to take the field when the time comes,” Fenwick declared.

Head coach of the SE volleyball team, Nicole Solum, also believes this situation is a great opportunity for her team to learn and grow. Solum added, “As a fall sport we don’t get much time to prepare as a full team before we compete, so I see this as a blessing in disguise for our program. I am just excited to get to practice and train in our new facility. We can handle whatever is thrown at us.”

Though the suspension of fall sports may be necessary to keep people safe, many SE community members are still saddened by this turn of events. The coronavirus has put a pause on many of the usual joys this year, but we will just have to make the best of it.

Stay tuned for small events and giveaways happening around campus this fall semester.