Senator James Lankford visits SE

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senator James Lankford visits SE

Senator James Lankford speaks to Southeastern students, faculty and staff in the Fine Arts Recital Hall on February 21. Lankford addressed issues of concern in the United States Senate.

Kourtney Kaufman

Kourtney Kaufman

Kourtney Kaufman

Brad Erwin, Staff Writer

Oklahoma Senator James Lankford came to Southeastern Oklahoma State University on Feb. 21, 2018 to discuss issues being addressed in Washington. Lankford also fielded questions from the audience ranging from Deferment of Childhood Arrivals, DACA, to Net Neutrality.

Senator Lankford discussed issues that are being argued in Congress. The discussion was held in the Recital Hall in the Fine Arts Building. Back from Washington, Lankford is traveling Oklahoma and is getting feedback from his constituents on what needs to be done on a range of issues.

During his brief visit on campus Lankford talked about the struggles faced coming to an agreement over DACA . According to Lankford, The bill was thwarted by an attempt to set an arbitrational date in which the United States would agree to grant amnesty to all illegal immigrants. Lankford believes that trying to pass a bill like that would signal to all immigrants trying to come into the U.S. to come in illegally by a certain date in order to become a full citizen without consequences.

Shannon McCraw
Brad Erwin, left, takes the opportunity to talk directly with the senator during his visit to Southeastern February 21.

Another major concern among students after the shooting in Florida is campus security. Shootings on college campuses have happened before; on April 16, 2007 Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people on Virginia Tech University with 9mm Glock and Walther P-22 pistols, according to CNN.com.

“On a college campus obviously it’s a lot more complicated, multiple buildings, very open. The process is a lot more difficult,” Lankford said. “And as we learned in Virginia Tech, years ago, if a person gets into a college campus its exceptionally difficult to be able to maintain security that’s why on campus security is very important. They’re not just there to unlock doors.”

On an international scale security is of concern as well. Russia is one country that has attempted to adversely influence the United States. Lankford responded, “They don’t usually start the fight but once a fight starts they’re like the kid on the playground yelling, ‘fight, fight, fight, fight, fight,’ trying to get as big of a crowd as they possibly can.” He continued, “the Russians feel like they’re winning when other people are in chaos.”

Lankford said that he would rank Russia over China in regards to attempting to negatively impact the states. However China fights on a different level, “they’re trying to be able to steal our intellectual property, be able to mimic it, and then be able to sell the products back into us, or to be able to have that type of influence.”

Lankford continued, “So, China is a very different type of cyber actor they’ll try to hack into different economic groups into a bank, into a law firm, whatever it is and steal intellectual property and try to be able to use it against us; the Russians are just trying to seed chaos.”

According to the New York Times, “All together, intellectual property theft costs America up to $600 billion a year” and China, “accounts for most of that loss.”

About the Contributors
Brad Erwin, Staff Writer

Favorite food: Steak

Favorite book/magazine: 1984

Dream job: Pro Fisherman

Favorite movie: A Beautiful Mind

Currently watching: Lord of the...

Kourtney Kaufman, Managing Editor

Name: Kourtney Kaufman

Favorite Food: Cinnamon Rolls

Favorite Book/Magazine: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Dream Job: College...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Senator James Lankford visits SE”

1. Barbara Walker on March 6th, 2018 4:28 pm

Good to see that questions are being raised about school security and types of weapons used in different situations at colleges since it is not just an AR-15. Thoughtful article.

2. Dan Randall on April 1st, 2018 5:16 am

Is the AR-15 and bump stocks the issue and the second amendment or is the real issue mental health problems? I do believe when the second amendment came into being, the type of guns now available were not even a part of our country. I am not a member of the NRA and do not intend to become one. We can regulate the sale of alcohol and tobacco to those above a certain age. I have no problem with banning the sale of the AR-15 and bump stocks to anyone or at least those over the age of 21. My view, the AR-15 it is a weapon designed for killing and should be restricted to the military and law enforcement. I also feel the gun shows where apparently guns can be bought and sold with little if any back ground checks should be done away with. Our county has so many guns owned by both good law abiding citizens as well as those citizens or not that have bad intentions for the use of guns.
    Senator Lankford is a real beacon of hope and common sense in Washington, DC. I really appreciate his service and wisdom with a belief in God as part of his decisions.

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

SDA competed at the Christmas Classic Speech and Debate Tournament

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Southeastern hosting STEM Visitation Day on Dec. 1 for high school students

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Lesa Smaligo to speak at Fall Commencement on December 15

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Local disc golf league in Durant

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

MAGA bomber arrested shortly after bombs were found

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Clinton requests her security clearance be revoked

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

House and Senate breakdowns

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Oklahoma Governor candidates

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Antisemite kills 11 people in synagogue shooting

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Speech & Debate Association reaches semifinals at TCU Cowtown Classic

Senator James Lankford visits SE