Senator James Lankford visits SE

Senator James Lankford speaks to Southeastern students, faculty and staff in the Fine Arts Recital Hall on February 21. Lankford addressed issues of concern in the United States Senate.

Kourtney Kaufman

Kourtney Kaufman

Brad Erwin, Staff Writer

Oklahoma Senator James Lankford came to Southeastern Oklahoma State University on Feb. 21, 2018 to discuss issues being addressed in Washington. Lankford also fielded questions from the audience ranging from Deferment of Childhood Arrivals, DACA, to Net Neutrality.

Senator Lankford discussed issues that are being argued in Congress. The discussion was held in the Recital Hall in the Fine Arts Building. Back from Washington, Lankford is traveling Oklahoma and is getting feedback from his constituents on what needs to be done on a range of issues.

During his brief visit on campus Lankford talked about the struggles faced coming to an agreement over DACA . According to Lankford, The bill was thwarted by an attempt to set an arbitrational date in which the United States would agree to grant amnesty to all illegal immigrants. Lankford believes that trying to pass a bill like that would signal to all immigrants trying to come into the U.S. to come in illegally by a certain date in order to become a full citizen without consequences.

Shannon McCraw
Brad Erwin, left, takes the opportunity to talk directly with the senator during his visit to Southeastern February 21.

Another major concern among students after the shooting in Florida is campus security. Shootings on college campuses have happened before; on April 16, 2007 Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people on Virginia Tech University with 9mm Glock and Walther P-22 pistols, according to CNN.com.

“On a college campus obviously it’s a lot more complicated, multiple buildings, very open. The process is a lot more difficult,” Lankford said. “And as we learned in Virginia Tech, years ago, if a person gets into a college campus its exceptionally difficult to be able to maintain security that’s why on campus security is very important. They’re not just there to unlock doors.”

On an international scale security is of concern as well. Russia is one country that has attempted to adversely influence the United States. Lankford responded, “They don’t usually start the fight but once a fight starts they’re like the kid on the playground yelling, ‘fight, fight, fight, fight, fight,’ trying to get as big of a crowd as they possibly can.” He continued, “the Russians feel like they’re winning when other people are in chaos.”

Lankford said that he would rank Russia over China in regards to attempting to negatively impact the states. However China fights on a different level, “they’re trying to be able to steal our intellectual property, be able to mimic it, and then be able to sell the products back into us, or to be able to have that type of influence.”

Lankford continued, “So, China is a very different type of cyber actor they’ll try to hack into different economic groups into a bank, into a law firm, whatever it is and steal intellectual property and try to be able to use it against us; the Russians are just trying to seed chaos.”

According to the New York Times, “All together, intellectual property theft costs America up to $600 billion a year” and China, “accounts for most of that loss.”

About the Contributors
Brad Erwin, Staff Writer
Favorite food: Steak Favorite book/magazine: 1984 Dream job: Pro Fisherman Favorite movie: A Beautiful Mind Currently watching: Lord of the Rings series Music of choice: Rap or Rock Brad is a Communication major with a journalism minor who has been a member of the SE Student Publications since Fall 2017. She has served as staff...
Kourtney Kaufman, Managing Editor
Name: Kourtney Kaufman Favorite Food: Cinnamon Rolls Favorite Book/Magazine: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston Dream Job: College Professor Favorite Sports: Basketball or Hockey Currently Watching: The 100 Music of Choice: Folk/Americana This year Kourtney looks forward to being the managing editor for another year with student publications. She is excited for...
2 Comments

2 Responses to “Senator James Lankford visits SE”

1. Barbara Walker on March 6th, 2018 4:28 pm

Good to see that questions are being raised about school security and types of weapons used in different situations at colleges since it is not just an AR-15. Thoughtful article.

2. Dan Randall on April 1st, 2018 5:16 am

Is the AR-15 and bump stocks the issue and the second amendment or is the real issue mental health problems? I do believe when the second amendment came into being, the type of guns now available were not even a part of our country. I am not a member of the NRA and do not intend to become one. We can regulate the sale of alcohol and tobacco to those above a certain age. I have no problem with banning the sale of the AR-15 and bump stocks to anyone or at least those over the age of 21. My view, the AR-15 it is a weapon designed for killing and should be restricted to the military and law enforcement. I also feel the gun shows where apparently guns can be bought and sold with little if any back ground checks should be done away with. Our county has so many guns owned by both good law abiding citizens as well as those citizens or not that have bad intentions for the use of guns.
    Senator Lankford is a real beacon of hope and common sense in Washington, DC. I really appreciate his service and wisdom with a belief in God as part of his decisions.

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Love. Sex. Lies. What does a healthy relationship look like?

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Oklahoma zookeeper charged in a murder-for-hire scheme

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Are kiosks and drive-thus disturbing fast food chains?

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

A&E

SE alumni returns to demonstrate skills for graduate program

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

A&E

Nike’s Kaepernick campaign up in flames

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Durant Mainstreet Re-welcomes Bella Ragazza Boutique

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

A&E

Department of Music is making some noise with two new professors

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

September reminds us the importance of suicide awareness

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

Spring Break in Spain

• Senator James Lankford visits SE

SE Oklahoma Intercollegiate Legislature ready for another year

Senator James Lankford visits SE