Oklahoma counties are dry, dry, dry

By Oklahoma Forestry Services via Tulsa World

Tulsa World said: As of Thursday, Feb. 15, Tulsa County and more than 50 other Oklahoma counties are under a governor’s burn ban until March 2 (marked in red). Other eastern counties are under separate county bans (yellow). Map courtesy of Oklahoma Forestry Service.

Jeria Billy, Staff Writer

Many counties in northwest Oklahoma have been put under burn bans. According to KFOR.com, Governor Mary Fallin has issued a burn ban for 40 counties in the state.

When under a burn ban from News9.com, “Even the smallest spark can turn into a wild fire. To lessen the threat of fires, your governor or your county commissioner will issue a burn ban.”

News9.com continued to explain that while under a burn ban, the selected counties are not permitted to participate in any activities that may spark a fire, including the smallest things, such as throwing a lit cigarette bud out of a window. The stated, “All outdoor burning is illegal including burning trash, starting a campfire or grilling with charcoal, wood or any grill with exposed embers.”

Anyone caught breaking the burn ban could spend up to a year in jail in addition to receiving a $500 fine.

The Oklahoma Forest Services said, “Oklahoma is in drought conditions which typically results in higher fire danger.”

In addition to following the bans, students can take action individually to prevent wildfires and conserve water. The OFS encourages students to “serve as advocates” in the communities by spreading the word.

“Oklahoma Forestry services, wildland fire crew and fire departments across the state have responded to an increasing number of fires over the past several weeks,” said Director of Forestry Services George Geissler.

Bryan County firefighters stated, “Bryan County does not currently have a fire ban. It is being considered. County residents do need to mindful of the conditions and prudent in any decision concerning fire or sparks.”