IT’s a Hit

A fresh take on the classic horror film

Bill+Skarsg%C3%A5rd+stars+as+Pennywise+in+the+hit+horror+2017+New+Line+Cinema+film%2C+IT.+
Bill Skarsgård stars as Pennywise in the hit horror 2017 New Line Cinema film, IT.

IMdB.com

IMdB.com

Rylee Byrd, Contributing Writer

Stephen King’s IT made its way to the big screen on Sept 8, 2017 and has made quite an uproar. Some viewers say it was one of the greatest horror movies ever made, even better than the original movie made back in 1990, while some say it was a let down compared to the original.

Here is my take on IT:

First and foremost, I did enjoy the movie. However, I do have some complaints that will begin with the films CGI effects. I personally think they were unnecessary and for the most part, looked very cheap.

With the massive budget this movie had, I thought the CGI would at least look more realistic. Makeup and some effects would have made the CGI scenes look much more believable and scary. The CGI should not be able to be so easily recognized by the human eye. To me, The Exorcist from 1973 looked more believable than some of the CGI scenes used in IT.

One thing that I did love about the new IT movie was the cast. The actors were very likable and played their parts very well. They gave the movie a touch of comedy and kept the audience laughing. The setting, atmosphere, acting, and cinematography were all beautifully done.

My biggest problem with the movie, which is an important aspect to any good horror movie, was that IT just wasn’t that scary.

I found myself laughing more than anything while watching IT. Although I did jump at the occasional jump-scare, the movie just did not leave me with an eerie scary movie feeling.

The only scene I found to be unsettling was the opening scene where Pennywise is introduced. He and Gorgie share an awkward laugh together and then his face turns into a silent, blank stare. With that being the opening scene, I had high hopes for the rest of the movie.

If you are looking for a horror movie to entertain you, then IT is the movie to see. Overall, I enjoyed the movie and would it watch again to have a good laugh. Regardless of my opinions or anyone else’s about IT, it definitely was a success. The movie made $117,550,000 the opening weekend, a gross of $151,508,245, with a budget of only $35,000,000.

• IT’s a Hit

Showcase

Stay stress-free for finals week

• IT’s a Hit

Native American Heritage Day

• IT’s a Hit

Featured

Southeastern’s SE Live was a success

• IT’s a Hit

Showcase

Southeastern closes the season by beating ECU in the ‘Hundred Year War’

• IT’s a Hit

Showcase

Going the Distance: Rebekah Christman looks to build her success

• IT’s a Hit

A&E

Tragic Opera ends with rave reviews

• IT’s a Hit

Northern California in ashes

• IT’s a Hit

Showcase

SE Flight Team qualifies for Nationals

• IT’s a Hit

Showcase

SE Golfers stand out in GAC

• IT’s a Hit

The Hogan and Keithley Collection exhibit

IT’s a Hit