The Hogan and Keithley Collection exhibit

A cherished collection of Native American artwork

Southeastern's Hogan and Keithley Native American collections were available at the Center Art Gallery from September 5 to 28. The collection featured historic and modern Native art in two and three dimensions.

Lawrence Carter

Lawrence Carter

Lawrence Carter, Staff Writer

The Center Art Gallery in the Visual and Performing Arts Center at Southeastern is currently featuring the Hogan and Keithley Native American collections. The collection is one of the most important Native American art collections in Oklahoma. It consists of artwork from 17 different tribes from Oklahoma and the Southwest Tribes.

The Hogan Collection was given to the University in 1996 by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hogan from Ardmore, Okla. The Hogan Collection consists of mainly traditional Native American pieces from the 1960s and the 1970s. All of the artwork is original and highly prized.

Lawrence Carter
Apache Fire Dancers, Jimmy Toddy a.k.a. Beatien Yazz (Navajo). Tempera on blue mat board 14 3/4 x 19. Hogan Restoration Project. Donor: Dr. Gleny Beach

The Keithley Collection was given to university in 2007 by Mr. Bradford Keithley. That addition to the university‘s collection consists of contemporary native American pieces in both two and three dimensions.

“The purpose for the collection is to preserve Oklahoma history through the eyes and visual representation of native American artists as well as a small number of non-native artists whose work reflects deep reverence for native culture and tradition,” said Jane Semple Umsted, director of the SE university Center Art Gallery.

It also serves as a visual teaching experience for Native Americans as well as non-native students as they seek to understand and learn and preserve the various tribal traditions and customs,” said Umsted.

The University has always been extremely grateful to be the home of such outstanding, as well as historically significant, collections. Each piece is one of a kind.

Southeastern‘s Hogan and Keithley native American collections will be showing at the Center Art Gallery from September 5 to 28, gallery hours are 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

• The Hogan and Keithley Collection exhibit

Showcase

SE Golfers stand out in GAC

Take Back the Night March and Candlelight Vigil

Showcase

Southeastern celebrates spectacular Homecoming with spectacular football comeback

A&E

Peter and the Starcatcher: a trip back to childhood

Southeastern aides in Hurricane Harvey relief efforts

SE Merchant Fair has record numbers

The Holisso 2016-17

Showcase

State Senate presents citation to SEOSU Coach Mike Metheny

Spring commencement held Saturday at Bloomer Sullivan Arena

Showcase

Art, mud and Mardi Gras: Spring Fest 2017