New Miss Indian SOSU crowned

By Meagan Lindamood

Jewel Zukosky performed a storytelling entitled Little Rattlesnake.

The Native American Student Center on Southeastern’s campus crowned a new Miss Indian SOSU on Wednesday, August 31. Since the first pageant in 2011 when Caley Wesberry was crowned, there have been six Native American women to win the title.

Four contestants entered the pageant

Jewel Zukosky was crowned Miss Indian Southeastern Oklahoma State.
Meagan Lindamood

this year, but only one emerged as a winner. Jewel Zukosky, freshman from Silo High School, took home the crown that evening. Zukosky said, “I never imagined entering a pageant or much less winning. I hope to use my title to represent the tribe well and support the growth of strong Native American women on SE’s campus.”

The pageant consisted of an introduction of the contestants, a talent and a Q&A session with a panel of three judges active in the Native American society. Contestants were asked various question concerning why they wanted the title of Miss Indian SOSU and what were struggles they could see within their tribe. Talents ranged from sign language to storytelling. Zukosky performed a storytelling called Baby Rattlesnake.

The winner of Miss Indian SOSU becomes a representative of the organization and the University at tribal, local, educational and university events.

Pageant participants were required to submit an application that outlines educational and career goals, an essay, current photograph, three personal references and have a GPA of at least 2.5.

Any questions concerning the Native American Student Center or the Miss Indian SOSU pageant should be directed to Jennifer Kemp or Bruce King, who are located in the Native American Institute.