Student production addresses suicide issues

The cast of “Relationships, Sex, War, and Love” Sarah Willhite (left), Ralontae Worley (middle) and Charles Jackson (right).

Ivy Phelps, News Editor

“Relationships, Sex, War, and Love” was performed on Aug. 17 at 6 p.m. in the Fine Arts Recital Hall.

Charles Jackson acted alongside Sarah Willhite. Jackson wrote the play and Ralontae Worley worked as the director. “Relationships, Sex, War, and Love” was a creative and powerful take on suicide contemplation.

Willhite played a young woman who had previously suffered many hardships and failed to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Jackson acted as a suicide hotline employee answering Willhite’s call.

Charles Jackson interacts with audience members.
Ivy Phelps
Charles Jackson interacts with audience members at “Relationships, Sex, War, and Love” on August 17.

The play showcased serious issues in addition to the innovative personalities of Worley and Jackson. The audience was very engaged and the energy of the room was charged.

Once the play ended Worley, Jackson and Willhite were filled with emotion, considering the nature of the play.

In turn, Worley and Jackson both explained their personal hardships. These hardships included disease, death, homelessness and neglect.

Worley and Jackson emphasized that despite their extremely unfortunate circumstances, they did not give up.

Worley and Jackson instead channeled their energy into doing something good to help someone else and raised awareness concerning controversial issues.

Jackson said, “There’s always somebody out there that you can talk to if you’re struggling.”

Worley said, “There’s always another option, you can always get through it.”

Jackson added, “For people who aren’t struggling, your voice or just your presence alone can be the difference between someone hurting themselves or someone recovering from the blow that they just faced and fighting back.”

If you or anyone you know is exhibiting alarming behavior or suicide threats please use Southeastern’s Crisis Hotline is 1-800-522-1090.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255 and is available 24 hours everyday.