Repealing the Affordable Care Act

The Affordable Care Act may risk repeal with the Trump administration. Photo courtesy of qualitypersonnel.com

Haley Barnett, Staff Writer

As President Obama exits the Oval Office and Donald Trump takes office, there is talk of repeal of the Affordable Care Act(ACA) or Obamacare. Oklahoma residents are upset and worried about what might happen if their ability to pay for health care is taken away.

According to the Tulsa World, concerned Oklahoma residents visited Senator Lankford at his Tulsa office on Jan. 12 to discuss why they believe the ACA should not be repealed. Lankford expressed that alternative health care plans would replace Obamacare and might be more beneficial.

While the ACA has benefited an abundance of people across the U.S. and in Oklahoma, some changes should be made. Some do not agree with the penalty associated with not enrolling in Obamacare.

Some citizens, who make below the threshold income, do not qualify for assistance in paying for health care. Oklahoma has a high poverty level; those in poverty cannot always afford to pay for health insurance.

These residents are denied assistance to help pay for health insurance and are still threatened with the penalty of not enrolling. This makes filing taxes an even more tedious chore. When filing taxes, citizens not enrolled in any type of health insurance, are subject to a penalty of up to $695. To get this waived they must fill out additional paperwork and may even be subject to a longer waiting period for their tax return.

The Affordable Care Act has benefited thousands of Oklahoma residents. To benefit thousands more, Senator Lankford and other Oklahoma representatives should fight on Oklahoma’s behalf, to get rid of the penalty associated with ACA. The government should not be able to force citizens to enroll in health insurance if they do not want it.

• Repealing the Affordable Care Act

Showcase

State Senate presents citation to SEOSU Coach Mike Metheny

• Repealing the Affordable Care Act

Spring commencement held Saturday at Bloomer Sullivan Arena

• Repealing the Affordable Care Act

Showcase

Art, mud and Mardi Gras: Spring Fest 2017

• Repealing the Affordable Care Act

From country favorites to rock classics, the Chorvettes gladly present the Red River Review

• Repealing the Affordable Care Act

Tahitian Dance class

• Repealing the Affordable Care Act

SE students volunteer for the annual MLK Day of Service

• Repealing the Affordable Care Act

95th annual Candlelighting at Southeastern

• Repealing the Affordable Care Act

Showcase

Students compete for cash prizes in the Dash for Dollars Game Show

• Repealing the Affordable Care Act

Fall 2016 commencement ceremony

• Repealing the Affordable Care Act

First public speaking showcase features top students in oratory

Repealing the Affordable Care Act