95th annual Candlelighting at Southeastern

Southeastern%27s+Symphonic+Choir+and+the+SHARE+Children%27s+Chorus+along+with+several+instrumentalists+performed+at+the+Candlelighting%2C+one+of+Southeastern%27s+oldest+traditions.+
Southeastern's Symphonic Choir and the SHARE Children's Chorus along with several instrumentalists performed at the Candlelighting, one of Southeastern's oldest traditions.

Dan Hoke

Dan Hoke

Jerai Billy, Staff Writer

Southeastern Oklahoma State University presented the 95th annual Candlelighting ceremony on Monday, Dec. 5, at 7:30p.m. in Montgomery Auditorium.

This event was free and open to the public and is one of the longest continuing tradition on campus. The Candle lighting is a festive concert anchored by the Southeastern Symphonic Choir conducted by Dr. Joshua Nannestad. The Symphonic Choir is a college community ensemble, the choir was also joined by SHARE Children’s Chorus, which was conducted by Jeri Walker.

According to Maribel Aldana, freshmen, pre-med major, “As a first time Southeastern student attending this Southeastern tradition, I enjoyed the diversity of the holidays scenery or setting and it was a great break from finals.”

The candles were lit by members of the Cardinal Key Honor Society.

The program for this year was built around a collection of English and American Christmas carols.  Such as “Once in Royal David’s City”, “Away in a Manger”, “Ding Dong Merrily on High”, “Hark the Angels Sing”, “Infant Holy”, “Infant Lowly”, “The Little Ones”, “Dear Lord”, “Are We”, “See”,” Amid the Winter Snow” and “O Come All Ye Faithful”.

Cantatas were performed as well “Quem Vidisits”, “Pastores”, “O Magnum” “Mysterium” and “Gloria in Excelsis Deo”. It included the Christmas Cantata by Daniel Pinkham. The Prelude was “Come all Ye of Art“ and “Thula kilza.” The Prophecy included “Pilgrims Hymn,” “Festive,” “Alleluia,” “Jubilant Christmas,” “Candlelight Burning Bright,” “Cry Out and Shout,” “Comfort Comfort,” “There Shall a Star from Jacob Come Forth” and “O Little Town of Bethlehem.”

The event also featured several instrumentalists. John Vietta and Trinity McReynolds were on trumpet. Trombones were played by Drico Zhou and Tyler Smith. Dr. Stewart Mayers was on organ, Dr. Michael Scheuerman played clarinet and Dr. Kate Stubbs accompanied on piano.

According to Thomas Olive, senior, botany major, “the candlelighting is one of the oldest traditions on campus. After witnessing the wonder that occurred, I know why it has managed to thrive so long. I had the pleasure to attend the 95th annual candle lighting”

“This event was a great way to end the semester and begin the most festive part of the year. I look forward to next years candle lighting and hope the break is just as enjoyable as this performance was,” said Olive.

Dan Hoke
Taylor Barrick, member of Southeastern Cardinal Key Honor Society, lights a candle at the 95th annual candlelighting.

• 95th annual Candlelighting at Southeastern

Showcase

State Senate presents citation to SEOSU Coach Mike Metheny

Spring commencement held Saturday at Bloomer Sullivan Arena

Showcase

Art, mud and Mardi Gras: Spring Fest 2017

From country favorites to rock classics, the Chorvettes gladly present the Red River Review

Tahitian Dance class

SE students volunteer for the annual MLK Day of Service

Showcase

Students compete for cash prizes in the Dash for Dollars Game Show

Fall 2016 commencement ceremony

First public speaking showcase features top students in oratory

SE responds to protest with free hugs