Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge

Desmond Doss(Andrew Garfield) coming to the aid of his fellow soldiers. Photo courtesy of moviehole.net.

J.D. Anteau, Staff Writer

Hacksaw Ridge is a 2016 biographical war film set in World War II directed by Mel Gibson. Notable actors in the film are Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Hugo Weaving and Vince Vaughn. The film is co-produced by the United States and Australia. Hacksaw Ridge features a young hero Desmond Doss(Andrew Garfield). Doss is an American pacifist combat medic who became the first conscientious objector to be awarded the Medal of Honor. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for service above and beyond the call of duty.

A young Desmond Doss nearly kills his brother Hal by hitting him with a brick while growing up in Lynchburg Virginia. The traumatizing experience, along with a talk from his religious mother, reinforces his belief in the Sixth Commandment from the Old Testament. Years later, Doss saves a man’s life who got hit by a car. While Doss was talking to him in the hospital, he falls deeply in love with a nurse Dorothy Schutte(Teresa Palmer). While Doss and Schutte were dating, Doss began to learn about medicine from her work.

Doss is later motivated to enlist in the Army in WWII. Residents in his town, including his brother signs up to join the army as well. Doss intended on becoming a medic for his beliefs of not carrying a weapon. Before he left for training in Fort Jackson, South Carolina, he asks Schutte to marry him and she accepts. While in training he is placed under the command of Sergeant Howell(Vince Vaughn) and is scrutinized because he did not want to train with his weapon nor train on Saturdays because of his religious beliefs.

Harry Truman awards Desmond Doss the Medal of Honor. Photo courtesy of desmonddoss.com.

Doss later went on to fight in the Battle of Okinawa with the 77th infantry division and ended up saving over 75 soldiers at Hacksaw Ridge. Doss was later awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor which was the first time it was given to a conscientious objector. Pre-credit text shows that Doss stayed married to Dorothy until her death in 1991 and he himself died on March 23, 2006 at the age of 87.

• Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge

Showcase

State Senate presents citation to SEOSU Coach Mike Metheny

• Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge

Spring commencement held Saturday at Bloomer Sullivan Arena

• Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge

Showcase

Art, mud and Mardi Gras: Spring Fest 2017

• Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge

From country favorites to rock classics, the Chorvettes gladly present the Red River Review

• Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge

Tahitian Dance class

• Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge

SE students volunteer for the annual MLK Day of Service

• Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge

95th annual Candlelighting at Southeastern

• Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge

Showcase

Students compete for cash prizes in the Dash for Dollars Game Show

• Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge

Fall 2016 commencement ceremony

• Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge

First public speaking showcase features top students in oratory

Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge